The Toyota Landcruiser...

stanoverlander

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you are buying a truck not a car, most pick up engines and gearboxes are not designed to do half a million miles

Quality costs money

I think false economy is buying a box full of electronics for £100k that breaks down all the time with a range rover badge stuck on the front and back and wing mirrors that cost £1600

Because you are buying a truck not a car, most pick up engines and gearboxes are not designed to do half a million miles

Quality costs money

I think false economy is buying a box full of electronics for £100k that breaks down all the time with a range rover badge stuck on the front and back and wing mirrors that cost £1600

:scared1:£1600 for 1 mirror. Have you felt the weight of the door mirror on a lc100 series. If you went mirror jousting on country lanes I think you would win hands down. No need to give way to RR now :biggrin:

I put it in to prospective the station I worked on

the roads were full of wash outs and corrugations

off the roads were like driving down the lane full of potholes as the sand would gather round any bit of grass

chassis would fail over time due to metal fortegge

we would pull up 100' bore holes the bull bars

life was not easy on they, they would not rust as it was so dry and dusty

The manager once destroyed a newish hilux to shoot a dingo he put the engine through the radiator broke the chasse in 3 places, they recon that dingo was the pack leader as they 5 more soon afther that and they reckon that pack it was costing them $60000 a year and they had been trying to getting them for 3 years (they were south of the dog fence)

Edited by NI Tree

I can think of better places to invest £45k. They are not the most practical sized pick up for what we do , they are not as bomb proof as people think they are ( I can site engine failures,diff problems ,suspension issues just among the lads that I know that have had them). Please note that is "had them" , they now own other 4x4`s so why would that be? It could be the savage kick in the nuts they have had to repair and keep them on the road. As far as towing goes they wont tow anything as well as a cheap old 7.5 ton lorry. I am not knocking the L/C but you are all getting a bit heady here. If I turned up on jobs in a 45K pickup I Know I would be losing customers because they would wonder who was paying for it.

Bob

That Landcruiser pick up should be £25,000 new and probably is in Oz compared with their earnings. 25k and the steering wheels on the wrong side. I bet they would be poplar over here in rh drive for 25-30k. The lc is not bomb proof and its expensive to repair but it gets used for jobs that would kill a defender in a week.

Anyone who has driven one with the 4.2L straight 6 will know why they are so good, god only knows what the 4.5 V8 Diesel is like at 205hp as I have yet to drive one !

You don't have to buy new, there are plenty of good second-hand ones, juts tell me your budget ....and whether you want a tipper etc..

If I could have one sub 10 y/o for the same money as a new DMax that I would seriously consider:

BUT it would have to be single cab, tipper preferably, RHD and not the 4.2 naturally aspirated (which is what the aus and SA sites show) but the turbo as was in the old VX ???