Stopping smoking

Mark Bolam

I've never smoke, but I my grandma was a chain smoker, she would light the first one in a morning and then light the next with the one before.

In the late 70's when the government first really put up the tax on them, she said "I ain't paying that!!" She took the middle out of a bic biro put that in her mouth, sucked polo's and just stopped.

IMO, you just need to be "Bloody minded"!!! She was!!!!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up 3.5 years ago, the thought of it was far worse than actually doing it, as has been said NRT is a very bad idea, nicotine only stays in your system for a few days so NRT draws out the pain over weeks or even months. Most people have enough will power for a few days but not much longer, so to stop; stop dead. If you smoke one fag you may as well have smoked 20, just do 24 hours cold turkey and then repeat, its easy cos you know you have just done it.

BTW the only REAL symptoms of nicotine withdrawal are feelings a bit like hunger which are often felt as an empty feeling in the stomach, all that anguish and inner torment, starting arguments just so you can storm off and have a fag, thats all in you're head. If you can handle the hunger type feelings you'll be fine, and remember all the other stuff is'nt real.:001_smile:

I've got to say the only thing that worked for me was Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking (not that Allen Carr...). I thought a book would do nothing for me and I didn't really want to stop smoking, but I read it (it's not scary or 'you're going to die' at all) and got to the end and haven't smoked since and it wasn't hard. That was 3 years ago...

Hope all goes well!

T.

Link: [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0141026898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238364463&sr=8-1[/ame]

will power is all you need:sad:

it is tough but you feel the benefits nearly straight away

and if you crack it and think in a few months time you can

get away with one you have had it! Like an alcoholic you

can't just have one imo. still think about it especially when i am on the ground watching another climber:001_smile:

however you crack it good luck

Good luck to you and I wish you well with your endeavours. I've given up three times now and the main thing that's needed is will power, both to kick the habit and realise when you need to moderate your grumpy feelings whilst you adjust to the new you! Giving up can be easy, staying of the fags when drunk etc is the hard one. My Dad gave up whilst on duty in Northern Ireland and even now he sometimes gets the craving whilst having a beer.

I haven't cracked smoking yet, got a 20 - 30 a day habit, been smoking for 25 years. I have 'given up' a number of times for long periods of over a year, with my best being three years. In the last decade I have definitely been a non- smoker more than 50% of the time which I guess must be better than not stopping at all.

I know a number of successful quitters who have stopped for long periods and used various methods, probably all those mentioned already. The most 'hardcore' smoker I know has remained stopped for many years now after using 'Ziban' or something like that from the doctor, but it can have side effects.

Best success for me comes with patches just to ease over the first few days and willpower from then on. If I can get passed the first few days I can stop for a long time although may crack under a combination of stress and lots of beer.

I also find NOT avoiding situations where you smoke, like the pub, and getting used to not smoking in those situations quicker, is better in the long run. Different ways work for different people and you have to find whats best for you.

I reckon reading this ongoing thread may not help though, it'll just keep reminding you of cigarettes and smoking:001_tongue: seriously though, Good luck.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Groundie reckoned I was like a headless chicken today, didn't know what to do with myself when I wasn't climbing. Bait box was empty by 2pm.

Some really good advice. Problem isn't really the nicotine as such, it's the habit of smoking itself. Walk round tree discussing strategy? Smoke. Come down for brew? Smoke. Pull away from site at end of day? Smoke.

Need to replace those moments with something healthy. I'm not using any nicotine replacement products because as stated I think that may prolong the agony.