Stopping smoking

Mark Bolam

Right. I'm packing in the fags tomorrow.

Any advice on what to expect in terms of increased energy, putting on so much weight I can't get my harness on, even more bad tempered than usual with groundies etc?

Ta.

And yes, I know it will be hell.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving up is dead easy! Chew gum, or whatever takes your mind off it. Keeping giving up is a completely different story, however. I was a non-smoker for 7 years after many years, then a slip-up at a party got me hooked all over again, what a waste! I was so angry with myself, but that didnt cure the problem.

Yes all of the above, are you just stopping or using other methods. I've heard the tablets are good, you smoke while talking them and on the 8th day you just stop well something like that anyway.

I've given up for 8years now and have never craved one since, i used the patch i had it on for 30 seconds and said whats that smell (pure nicotine) ripped the patch off never smoked since. So i reccomend them, You also need to want to give up or it won't work(will power).

My father had a heart attack about 2 weeks ago (gave us all a scare) he had smoked since he was 10, he's just turned 65. He's not tuched his pipe since coming out of hospital, which we're all really pleased about.

I now how hard it has been for him, but when the doctor tells you the reason for the heart attack was because he smoked, makes me glad I have never smoked myself.

Keep entirely focused on what ever the reason is for you giving up.

For me it was having children around.

Tried it a year earlier after watching the old man in Papworths going through cardiac operations.

Thought it was good enough motive, but like Andy slipped up at a moment of sociality :sad:

Got and stayed focused with the target date of my first borns arrival and six years on, I'm now forever smoke free but a couple of stone the wrong side of being called a monkey for my aerial exploits :blushing:

Best of luck to you. :001_smile:

I gave up 10 years ago.

I did about a month then had a sneaky, behind the garage fag. Fearing our lass would catch me I smoked it really quick, it knocked me sideways, I went green purle blue hot and cold, puked alsorts.

Never felt like a fag again after that, the sight of one made me feel sick.

So if you give up for a month or so and still feel tempted, smoke one as quick as you possibly can, it'll put you off for life

The nicotine will be out your system in 3 days.

You'll feel crap and crabby, but if you can do 3 days you have cracked the hard part. After that its in your mind.

You need to break the routine where you have a smoke in the morning, one when you get to the end of the road, one after dinner etc..

Out of every pack of 20 you probably only actually want and really enjoy 4 or 5, the rest you smoke as part of your daily routine at different points in the day.

Break the routine up and you'll be fine.

Don't waste your money on nicotine products cos your just prolonging the addiction.

I used to chew wrigleys extra gum in the small box and put it in my shirt pocket where I used to keep my cigs so it didn't feel like anything was missing.

Like MonkeyD says, first kid on the way is a great wake up call.

Think of what you are going to spend the money on instead every time you want a fag.

Very best of luck mate.