posting

John Shutler

It's not all tree surgeons that use this forum though is it... it's home owners, timber millers, wood workers, carvers all sorts...

And by labelling 'timid' tree surgeons you're saying that they are in some way weak or feeble and nervous.

People take it to heart and instead of firing back just retire into the background.... have done x4 arb shows this year and that is what a fair few people have told me...

Entirely agree Rob. There are things I have decided not to post - not because I am 'timid' but because there just isn't any point as the likelihood is that the aspect I think may be interesting to people will be drowned out by the pointless noise. I can see exactly why some people would decide it just wasn't worth the time and effort.

The brilliant thing about this forum is that it manages to combine 'ask the expert', be that on fungi, chainsaws or 'my tree is doing something odd', with high level technical discussion between experts in their field, as well as being a place for relaxed chat between people with shared interests who know one another, sometimes in person as well as through the forum, and probably some other positive things as well.

The relaxed chat, ie entertainment, inherently includes an element of friendly banter, but you can spot this easily - it's the running jokes, lots of emoticons and general good humour. As a newcomer, you may not get the joke, but you can see it is around you, not aimed 'at' you, and maybe you even feel more involved by it - it suggests that this is a friendly community to be part of. There are also some pretty heated debates from time to time, based on strongly held but differing views, but again quite legitimate.

The trouble seems to be that a small number of members seem determined to pick holes or make personal attacks on the slightest weakness. This is not done in jest, but seems to be solely for their entertainment. At best this is unpleasant and a negative reflection on the individual and, as Steve recently pointed out in closing the ppe thread, by association, the forum. At worst it is bullying, aggressive and, recently, could be taken as sexual harrassment. There is absolutely no need for this and I for one would rather see fewer of these individuals remaining on the forum, hopefully to be replaced by more of the people Rob refers to above (and I have met others) coming back out of the woodwork and deciding that it is worthwhile to post, since I am sure they would add infinitely more value than the pointless posts of the current irritating minority do.

Alec

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last year or so ive been on here less and less, i dont post many pics and even less videos now as i used to, i also no lots of people who dont/won't come on here anymore or post on here because of the atmosphere on here.

http://www.forestryjournal.co.uk/newsitefiles/eAWeb2013/Iss43/HeadsUp.pdf

Yeah I do miss your vids James. Shame you feel that way.

Surly the mods should stop these threads before they get out of control. They seem very quick to delete some things but when people make homophobic comments or swear they don't bother.

All the mods have full time jobs as well you realize, and in my case ive been laid up all week following an op. Its not always possible to keep on top of everything. The recent ppe thread should have been nipped in the bud earlier on in an ideal world. In an even more ideal world there shouldnt be any need to moderate anything if people could respect the rules(and other people) and not treat their arbtalk membership as a god given right

I am sure most of us are guilty of being pricks at some time or another but yes it seems that some want to make a career out of it.:sneaky2:

Maybe being a bit more heavy handed with the tempary bans, having a 'stop being an idiot button' so people can be given a little slap by everyone if they are being stupid and also a 'stop blowing smoke up their arse' button for the creeps.:001_tongue:

No seriously it must be a difficult job for Steve and the moderators but I'll guess that most people would go for the heavier handed approach rather than just asking people to be more reasonable.

Surly the mods should stop these threads before they get out of control. They seem very quick to delete some things but when people make homophobic comments or swear they don't bother.

Don't judge the mods till you walk a mile in their shoes or live a day in their life.

You sir, obviously have no idea how much 'stuff' requires moderation. :thumbdown:

All the mods have full time jobs as well you realize, and in my case ive been laid up all week following an op. Its not always possible to keep on top of everything. The recent ppe thread should have been nipped in the bud earlier on in an ideal world. In an even more ideal world there shouldnt be any need to moderate anything if people could respect the rules(and other people) and not treat their arbtalk membership as a god given right

IHow do you become a mod?, just wondering

I've spoke to a few lads I know who have been on here in the past and they say they can't be bothered with the "mine is bigger thank yours attitude" and some of the bottom licking that goes on. I enjoy the crack on here and TBH I don't post comment on a lot of things as I can't be bothered with the bitching that can some times erupt.

Yeh me too Hodge. I know alot of good tree guys that dont bother coming anymore... Naming no names.

Sadly this is true for me. I know some excellent climbers who have become disillusioned with the direction some are willing to push towards