Rigging ropes and pulleys

Sciadopitys

I am after buying some new rigging gear - i want a larger rope and block for blocking down big stuff. What diameter is best? I have always worked with thinner stuff but its time to get some heavier gear. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using say... 16mm or 19/20mm regards getting blocks and gear to match the rope? My pulleys at the moment will not take this size rope so i am gonna need to buy some heavy pulleys too? What does everyone recommend?

Cheers,

Ed

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19mm or 20mm is rarely needed IMO. I have some 19mm thats been used twice for blocking down wellingtonia, never needed it on anything else and we like to drop big stuff on the GRCS no and then.

!6mm will do for virtually everything. I recently got some 13mm and I love it but have manged up till now with just the 16mm.

You'll need the ISC medium blocks, they are usually the blue ones, a couple of those and your sorted for eveything.

ISC gold rescue pulleys will take 16mm so these are ideal for fairleads or redirects.

I use 16mm at the mo but I have ordered a 60m 12mm for big trees and for a speedline, all the double trolley type pulleys seem to only go up to 13mm so the 12mm will be ideal for that. I have almost run out of rope on some jobs with my 16mm which i think is 50m so having the extra length will be good too. My large pulley will take a 19mm rope and I always intended to get one for blocking down big stuff but have'nt got round to it yet. If you're only having one rope I'd go for 16mm.

i use 16mm for my main rigging line, and ive got a large red isc block as well as a couple of smaller gold/red redirects. sometimes use an old climbing line for smaller stuff

i have a monster lowering line, about an inch diameter, 200 feet long, alloy pulley, whoopy slings and a rigging device that goes at the base of the tree. hardly use it, you need a good ground crew for it, if they get it wrong its a pain. but when i need it its there. i always have an old climbing line and small slings in the bag for wee stuff, and i would be lieing if i said i had never used the end of my climbing line and a wee nug, and done it myself:blushing::001_smile:

i use a 16 mm kit and a 20 or is it 22 dont know any way the 16 is good and strong the bigger one is heavy and normally we dont use it.

depends on how much abuse you want it to take if you have a small dia line you have less cycles to failure

Same goes for me I need a new lowering rope and pulley.

Any suggestions on what 16mm rope is a good un then?

i really like the english braid but the double esterlon is good but english braid is slightly more nicer to handle