Buying a log burning stove

Beecham 4000-Four

We are looking to buy a log burning stove in the next week or so and currently considering either an AGA Ludlow or a Charnwood Country 6 which are around 6 KW nominal output, the opinions of anyone who have had experience with either of these would be appreciated.

Which other stoves about this size would people recommend and how do cast iron stoves and fabricated steel stoves compare in the long run?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A good friend has the Charnwood 6 with a back boiler. He has been disappointed with it as it struggles to get hot enough to keep the glass clean. This is probably caused by the back boiler drawing off to much heat but they have also had problems getting a good seal where the doors meet. If it where my money I would look at the Burley or Woodwarm stoves as I have never heard a bad thing about either. Over the years we have had both fabricated (Woodwarm) and cast (Jotul) both have stood up fine over 10+years the only thing I have noticed is the fire cement used to seal where the cast meets does crack off over the years where as with a fabricated stove there are no seals to fail.

Hi, I've now got two stoves in my home the first is an Aga little wenlock se defra, (nightmare), it goes through wood for fun, other than that its a good stove, the other is an Esse200xk 8.5 kw and its fantastic, my advice yo you is make sure the stove you buy is not defra approved as you have virtually no control over the stove.

Cheers

Morso (assuming standards are the same as 17 year ago)

or

Clearview

When we bought ours the sales person said

No water jacket if you want to admire the flames/keep the glass clean.

and actually sensible since in the winter months the central heating boiler, be it oil or wood fired is running anyway, and heating hot water.

And the stove will not be lit summer months.

good stoves cost good money.

Our Morso despite 8 years continuious 24/7 firing (out of 17 years, burning 6 mths/yr) and literally the flue glowing red hot

Is still structurally perfect.

The sealing strip need replaced and the scarfical inner iron work ditto.

but no disgrace.

PS

In my humble opinion stoves should be CAST IRON.

Not welded sheet steel

We are looking to buy a log burning stove in the next week or so and currently considering either an AGA Ludlow or a Charnwood Country 6 which are around 6 KW nominal output, the opinions of anyone who have had experience with either of these would be appreciated.

Which other stoves about this size would people recommend and how do cast iron stoves and fabricated steel stoves compare in the long run?

HI BEECH get a euro heat mate there very good stove mate thanks jon :thumbup:

HI STUBBY the dog loves it mate well done mate jon :thumbup:

Burley. We have the 12kw Wakerley which absolutely kicks out the heat and is really efficient. They do lots of stoves but if you wasn't amazing heat and efficiency, this is the make for you. They are just superbly made stoves.