someones making a killing

northcountryboy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?

I would disagree 100% - more if I could.

Why do you think it is a ridiculous price? What would you estimate his actual profit margin is? And what do you think a fair profit would be on what he is selling?

I ask this as I have milled, sawn and dried timber for 8 years and have an ebay shop similar to his Timber sales, Sugihara bars for Stihl items in chainsawbars alaskanmill and treet store on eBay!

I know my end profit is tiny at the moment but am hoping in continual persistence it can be turned into a viable business.

:001_smile:

How would I know what his profit margin is unless I know what he paid for the timber in the first place?

I just thought £72 was an expensive price for what he was selling.

You're saying it was a ridiculous price - as in too expensive.

I'm disagreeing with and saying it's fair price.

You started the thread - so I'm asking you why do you think it is too expensive?

:001_smile:

I have to agree with Rob here, get tree, mill, stack, wait, joint, plane, advertise, give 10% to ebay.

I'm in the process of making a load of chopping boards at the moment as I had a paticularly good market last weekend and sold out. If I bought those boards is get six good size chopping boards which with a little sanding and oiling is be selling on for £120-150. I wouldn't pay that much for them but I have the ability to make my own and increase my profit. But this means I do all the work.

if these are 23pounds each then the boards in the link are practically a giveaway...

EKBY TONY Shelf - high-gloss white, 119x28 cm - IKEA

for 13 pounds more the cherry board is the winner. Sometimes things can look expensive but when you look at how they compare they don't seem so bad.

Kev

This is a good point, which one will still look good in a few years?