Double action snaphook LOLER Failure?

Mark_Skyland

What about when you're on a pole though? Surely that's where a flipline would get used most and would be classed as the primary attachment even on the D's? Or would you just class it as a positioner still and class your choked off mainline underneath as the primary line?

Anything attached at the side "D"'s cant be classed as primary attachment because the side "D"'s don't distribute forces in the same way that a primary attachment point would and therefore aren't rated for a fall, they are for work positioning only.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything attached at the side "D"'s cant be classed as primary attachment because the side "D"'s don't distribute forces in the same way that a primary attachment point would and therefore aren't rated for a fall, they are for work positioning only.

Just out of interest ,the treemotion lower ds are rated for life support, would attaching the flipline to these be considerd a no no but attaching this flipline to the side ds be ok:confused1: .

Then its a primary attachment. I think you just answered your own question....

What I'm saying is its about how you use the equipment, the lower ds are rated for hanging from, but it doesnt mean you have to, you could use them or the bridge while standing on a branch or on spikes.

Just out of interest ,the treemotion lower ds are rated for life support, would attaching the flipline to these be considerd a no no but attaching this flipline to the side ds be ok:confused1: .

I don't get the life support thing, the side "D"'s are for life support but not rated for a fall, you can happily use a WP strop on the sides for a changeover.

I don't get the life support thing, the side "D"'s are for life support but not rated for a fall, you can happily use a WP strop on the sides for a changeover.

^ this is what i was getting at , psp

Side d's are life support because they are rated attachment points, but depending on the harness it depends how you can use them, eg the TM side d's can only be used when the weight is distributed horizontally through the rope,

The lower d's however can be used horizontally and hung from vertically because it's the same distribution as hanging from the bridge.

But other harness's with one set of side d's should only be used horizontally.

As for the snap hook question check the ce or en numbers for they're suitable use,

I used a two way snap hook when I was at college which was provided by the college and did so for a year or so after I left