Brush cutter/clearing saw

Ty Korrigan

Hello all,

Since we set up as a limited company we are now bidding on grounds care contracts.

We've got light strimmers for garden work but many jobs need a clearing saw for small poplars that self seed on any ground not mown for a couple of seasons.

I am looking at an FS410 for medium duty work clearing banks etc

Is this a good choice?

Any opinions out there?

Any thing else I should be looking at?

Thank you in advice all.

Regards

Ty

Hello all,

Since we set up as a limited company we are now bidding on grounds care contracts.

We've got light strimmers for garden work but many jobs need a clearing saw for small poplars that self seed on any ground not mown for a couple of seasons.

I am looking at an FS410 for medium duty work clearing banks etc

Is this a good choice?

Any opinions out there?

Any thing else I should be looking at?

Thank you in advice all.

Regards

Ty

Hi Ty ./Can only recommend what we have . Husqvarna 545 and Husqvarna 355 . 45cc and 55cc I prefer the 45cc one as it is lighter and almost as much power as the 55cc one Both stonking machines and well capable of what you need . They are strong and rev hard . :thumbup1:

I've got two fs460s, use them all day long for clearing brambles, strimming, clearing birch/chestnut regen. Few issues, the bolts holding the start cord housing come loose and fall out (now locktite in) the clamp which holds the drive shaft to the engine cracked on one ImageUploadedByArbtalk1379361486.501114.jpg.e46140222ca069d968025e69361c590f.jpg

How ever, power/weight are good and I can use it all day doing pretty much anything. Though the husky harnesses are way better!!

I loved the 345 fxt which was a heated handle thumb throttle clearing saw. Shorter than the regular 345 rx bushcutter Unfortunately no replacement AFAIK,

Still prefer the 345 to the newer husky 545. Had quite a few issues with it. Got a 460 at the moment the AV is nice not really used it much. Still go for the 345 over the 460 too, i do like the husky harness too.

Might as well pay the little bit extra and go for the FS-460. Engines are awesome. Clutch housing as On Foot shows is warranty, they sorted mine.

This thread may help you.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/26020-new-stihl-strimmers-i-didnt-think-they-could-improve-them-so-much.html

For the record, they run the biggest Stihl mulching blade fine. Don't know why they bother making the smaller one, momentum is 3/4 of the battle and once you've got it going you only need to tickle the throttle to keep it there.

Certainly echo the endorsement of stihl mulching blade. I've got lots of different blades but essentially keep this on most of the time. Will eat anything up to 1-2 inch thick. Brambles are dead easy and even chops out the roots. I'd go for the bigger one again as with mulchers and clearing saws you can't have too much power.