Problem customer

tarzan

I advised a customer that the 17 conifers needed to be reduced by half and he replied by saying to leave it 3/4 foot higher. So I toped the first 3 and asked is that the hight you would like and he said yes thats fine. So today 4 left to top and he comes out and said my wife thinks its to high still and needs more off.. So shall I charge for the extra work.. I've never came across this problem before as when I say it needs this the clients say ok your the professional you take off what you think it needs off. This client is a good person and I've done work on his property for the last 5 years every year we go to do some thing...

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell him you would normally charge extra for the extra work, but in this case your not going too. In future you should think about drawing up work order forms so when a customer does change their mind it's a separate bill. I hate dealing with people. Gimme a forest full of trees any day! Customers know nothing, but let it slip this time, Stands you in good stead for the next job.....

I dont see the problem?

You've recommended a course of action, the client has asked you to do something else (for a previously agreed price?)

The customer now wishes a different course of action to be taken. To me that means a new job, a new invoice. You can take into account the job will be a little easier as there's a little less material left to remove if you wish, as well as not needing to finish the previous spec.

Make sure you earn your daily rate, add a bit to teach him to listen next time but dont take the piss.

Remember, "the wife thinks" normally means that's the final word and she'll be in charge of the household purse...

How much more does he want taken off?

With regards to the money situation, you should add a little more because it adds time, money, wages, fuel etc. But it's entirely up to you. The only time I wouldn't add money would be if I thought that I had overpriced in the first place and it would be a quick/easy job.

How much more does he want taken off?

With regards to the money situation, you should add a little more because it adds time, money, wages, fuel etc. But it's entirely up to you. The only time I wouldn't add money would be if I thought that I had overpriced in the first place and it would be a quick/easy job.

I don't think it matters really how much more is to come off . The fact of the matter is he has now got to do the job twice !

I advised a customer that the 17 conifers needed to be reduced by half and he replied by saying to leave it 3/4 foot higher. So I toped the first 3 and asked is that the hight you would like and he said yes thats fine. So today 4 left to top and he comes out and said my wife thinks its to high still and needs more off.. So shall I charge for the extra work.. I've never came across this problem before as when I say it needs this the clients say ok your the professional you take off what you think it needs off. This client is a good person and I've done work on his property for the last 5 years every year we go to do some thing...

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Did you put the spec for the job on the quote? If not, why not? Can you put a little bit more on the next few jobs (that you do for him) to make up the shortfall?

Ya signature line might not always be correct!:001_smile:

I don't think it matters really how much more is to come off . The fact of the matter is he has now got to do the job twice !

Yep

Charge again or it stops.

As above, I now always email a quote and spec through and I don't have this problem.