defender tippers i want one

Tom Hall

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1378514476.391664.jpg.aacf9272877d1b828e52d64f880f67e6.jpg

One of many jobs easily win due to the landy would have taken 4 men to get this done with a transit and chipper at the road but with the landy reversing the chipper down onto the loose soil over the pile of rubble and stumps etc was no problem and the job was comfortably completed with two of us, getting close is invaluable IMO and my L200 wouldn't have got there!

WM Tree Services

http://www.bestkenttreesurgeons.co.uk

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom, dare I ask, is money an issue? If so, what sort of money are you looking to spend?

Reason I ask, is it may dismiss some of the points raised earlier in the thread. Such as Muttleys point about the Isuzu. Obviously that could get into very serious money to chase that option. Similarly, if you are thinking of building your own(in my opinion the best final result), yet still on a budget, the weight/axle loading issues can be overcome.

Such as buying the donor will be cheaper to get hold of a 110 over a 130, yet building your own spec can get the load forward by making the box higher that will give a bigger payload than the 130.

Depends how far you want to get involved with it, there are quite a few nick nacks to overcome to get the perfect truck, but mostly comes down to getting the right thing to suit your set up.

P.S, Other thoughts come to mind such as how many times can you tip on site? Having a truck such as a tranny carrying 6 cube of chip is pointless if you always drag stuff down the road. Many folk aren't too concerned about running overweight, but I know with my 110 you could overload easily without needing the extra room in the back of a 130.

my budget is £10000 max, only been up and running a year and the out lay for climbing gear rigging gear saws training ppe and insurance has left me not exactly flush as i am trying to do it with out taking out massive loans, i have been hiring a truck but starting to get more and more private jobs (as opposed to sub contracting) so it is more beneficial to have my own now.

it had been suggested to me by someone who works for landrover that i might be best getting a 110 and converting it myself, apparently there is a company in wales which do excellent conversions to your exact spec, dragon conversions or something like that i think? and they are meant to be very reasonable.

[ATTACH]134112[/ATTACH]

One of many jobs easily win due to the landy would have taken 4 men to get this done with a transit and chipper at the road but with the landy reversing the chipper down onto the loose soil over the pile of rubble and stumps etc was no problem and the job was comfortably completed with two of us, getting close is invaluable IMO and my L200 wouldn't have got there!

WM Tree Services

Best Kent Tree Surgeons for Professional Tree Surgery Work in Maidstone

HI BILLY nice one:thumbup1: we run a 110 tipper it get in place were a l200 cabstar and transit then you then you spend time walking to the truck as you can get in there thanks jon :thumbup:

my budget is £10000 max, only been up and running a year and the out lay for climbing gear rigging gear saws training ppe and insurance has left me not exactly flush as i am trying to do it with out taking out massive loans, i have been hiring a truck but starting to get more and more private jobs (as opposed to sub contracting) so it is more beneficial to have my own now.

it had been suggested to me by someone who works for landrover that i might be best getting a 110 and converting it myself, apparently there is a company in wales which do excellent conversions to your exact spec, dragon conversions or something like that i think? and they are meant to be very reasonable.

HI TOM why not look out for one put the tipper your self you can get a tipper done for £2/3k but look out for a good one mate that makes the tippers thanks jon :thumbup:

I was asking Frets Jon, seemed he was a bit negative about reliability or "under the land rover or under the bonnet"

Ive no worries on them Jon, been running them for almost 20 years continuously and never had one let me down yet:thumbup1:

It's a bit like with dogs - it's not so much the breed but the owners :thumbup1:

I've not so much had bad ones, just ones that were badly kept/maintained/repaired previously using cheap bits.

My 90 just keeps on chugging - at 300,000 miles I'm sure it's going to have some sort of major problem before too long but on the whole I never have to touch it.

Jap stuff, other than patrol and landcruiser, on the whole just don't seem to stand up to the smae abuse a landrover can take.

Think the worst I've had so far was a mark 3 hilux that, whilst it looked great, had a terribly weak engine. I got rid of mine with 90,000 miles on after having already swapped ut to a 2.4td engine at 70,000 miles after a big end going on the original engine, andthe 2.4td cracked it's head another 20,000 after that.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Ok, the reason I asked was to give my advice based on your answer, for what it's worth, and if you're interested from someone who's been around a while:001_huh:

So here goes, build your own. You can find a 110 hi cap around 4-5k with reasonably low mileage for less than 5k. This is the easiest option to convert to a tipper. Try and find a 3500kg one, but not a big issue getting a 3050kg one uprated if you find the right truck.

Now, design YOUR body. Give thought for tool storage, chip capacity, load handling and practicality of use. Find a builder who can accommodate, not one who will build what they have off the shelf.

This is all very doable on the budget you speak of and will quite possibly be worth more than it cost. Most of all though, it should be how you want it, after all its easy to buy one for the same amount of money and it have many, many niggling issues that don't fit your needs.

Hope this is of help.

Edited by 18 stoner

Ok, the reason I asked was to give my advice based on your answer, for what it's worth, and if you're interested from someone who's been around a while:001_huh:

So here goes, build your own. You can find a 110 hi cap around 4-5k with reasonably low mileage for less than 5k. This is the easiest option to convert to a tipper. Try and find a 3500kg one, but not a big issue getting a 3050kg one uprated if you find the right truck.

Now, design YOUR body. Give thought for tool storage, chip capacity, load handling and practicality of use. Find a builder who can accommodate, not one who will build what they have off the shelf.

This is all very doable on the budget you speak of and will quite possibly be worth more than it cost. Most of all though, it should be how you want it, after all its easy to buy one for the same amount of money and it have many, many niggling issues that don't fit your needs.

Hope this is of help.

now that is what i am talking about really good answer thanks, a non bias answer with good helpful comments. i will get sketching some designs and start looking for the right truck:thumbup: