Macs .....are they any good?

Ian C

Laptop is about goosed and am thinking of a mac, price isn't really an issue as the mac is 1500 , I know I can get a Windows laptop much less but after years of cheap ones I have decided to get something good.

Thought please. .....pro's aswell as con's .

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Ill start,

It all depends what software you use, for example if you use Word & Excel, there are plenty of non MS alternatives that will run on your Mac.

People may say you dont need AV but Sophos is free for Mac users so you may as well install it.

Quality wise, they are very good, I have used since 2006, I now find PCs pretty awful to use & clumsy, pity really as MS had it made then blew it.

You dont give much information to provide a detailed response but I would try out in Apple store before investing, there are several Mac/PC discussions of you search.

N

Yep all our stuff is fm apple, we got the iMac last yr i think, and its hardly been turned off. I use it for work and the other half was using it for all her uni work, as well as our eldest for home work.

One pro for me is that it brings everything together, from iphone to ipad sent straight to the mac.

If youve only used windows,it may take awhile to get used to other operating systems. Because our lass had to crack on with dissertations etc we just bought the windows package and everyone was happy.

We wouldnt part with ours, also unlike other pc's or laptops which have a mixture of manufactures part, apple has very little so itll run faster with less power out put

In what way ate they better though?

You dont have the PITA Microsoft way of doing things, ie:

Operating system that behaves more like a two year old child, its in your face constantly.

Office: No ribbon menu

Endless 'Are you sure' type prompts

Speed: generally pedestrian, even on a well spec'd PC

Search: finds everything apart from what you want

Robustness: just when you really need it to work...

in contrast, with my Mac:

It works, it dosnt annoy me, lift the lid its awake instant

I hardly every re-boot, but its still slick & fast

Type anything into spotlight, its got it right away

Multitasks all the programs I use with ease

& I can run Windows in a Virtual Machine when Im testing for clients

If I let the MBP battery run down, it will power up at the very place I was typing

Backs up my files to Time Machine wireless & to spare disk on Mac Pro

Networking is probably the best Ive ever used

Yes, they cost more, but save on less hassle

I could go on & on

If you get a Mac, just use it how you think a computer should work, as opposed to how MS make you.

N

Edited by NFG