Recommended Lathe Books

abercarver

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to put my two pence worth in here, as a wood turner for 6-7 years now one thing I realised very quickly is that books, clubs and demos teach you very little indeed.

if you are serious then get a one to one lesson if needed as you can learn more in one day of turning than months of going to clubs or flicking through books.

further more you will find loads of info out there like different methods from different turners that conflict entirely and you'll still be left thinking that you don't know what to do.

the best thing that you can do is simply get a lathe a few tools and start turning. once you've started you will quickly find you own way and also your own style of turning that will be in line with some turners but will leave others thinking "what on earth is he doing". this is ok because if it work for you then there's nothing wrong with it.

as for lathes it really depends how much you wish to spend. don't spend too much on your first lathe as you should invest more in to good quality chisels, then once you know what you are doing you can think about upgrading to a better lathe.

it's often said that a turner will only buy three lathes. the first is pretty basic but at least it goes round, the second has greater capacity and a more powerful motor and will be better constructed than the first. the third is only purchased 5-6 years down the line when he knows what specifications are required from either doing certain jobs or that will satisfy his needs as a turner.

for example,

my first lathe was a second hand nutool bench top thing which had very little power but had a good set of tools. I spent £50

the second was a SIP floor standing lathe with much longer and wider capacity but vastly under powered. could still do some decent work on it though (the pillars on my avatar were turned on it) it cost me £300

SIP 01490 47"/1200mm Variable Speed Swivel Head Wood Lathe

the lathe I now own it a jet 3520b which cost about £2500 and probably another grand on accessories and chucks.Buy Jet 3520B Heavy Duty Woodturning Lathe from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK

this would be a good starter lathe if you've never turned before,

Buy Axminster Hobby Series AWVSL900 Woodturning Lathe from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK

hope this helps.

steve

Theres a couple of videos here that might be worth a look. I've got the CL3 featured and have had no problems with it. I would make sure you have a good look at the accessories available for any lathe (chucks, bowl turning attachments etc.) as you will no doubt want to expand the variety of work on them.

As said above from the pro's a good set of gouges and chisels would be the first thing to look into.

Woodturning Category

Hope this helps