Undercut by a pro today

Shane

I went to see a customer who again is a previous customer, she wanted a row of trees out enabling the builder to get the founds in for a new wall and gates bla bla bla, she told me before i had even looked at the job that the builder is willing to do them for £200!

He will just use his jcb to push them over (7 sycamore at 15m height), i quoted double his quote and got it. Did the job last week, cant beleive she was even considering letting them do it, i did mention that i would build her wall (with a smile on my face), she knew what i was getting at.

Some people eh

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to see a customer who again is a previous customer, she wanted a row of trees out enabling the builder to get the founds in for a new wall and gates bla bla bla, she told me before i had even looked at the job that the builder is willing to do them for £200!

He will just use his jcb to push them over (7 sycamore at 15m height), i quoted double his quote and got it. Did the job last week, cant beleive she was even considering letting them do it, i did mention that i would build her wall (with a smile on my face), she knew what i was getting at.

Some people eh

Fair enough if you've got the room let the jake do it, when the newbury by-pass was being constructed a lot of big trees were done like that.

heres food for thought i was talking to a fellow engineer about stump grinders and there life span. i work on heavy plant most of the the time and there expected to do 30k hours before replacement most grinders you see popping up on ebay are less than 700hrs they are getting sold off because they are showing signs off a hard life so if you have spent £40000 on a grinder £1000 a day doesnt seem that unrealistic a figure if you can get it well done

The company i use has a remote carlton grinder and a big vermeer, he charges me £350 per day

That's fair enough Chris, when I had my big Carlton Remote control machine I used to charge £350 a day if I had do a day rate but most of the time I charged by the job. I remember doing a big redwood stump with my smaller manual machine for £250 and thinking I should have charged more when I was still going at 6 o'clock!

Sent from Outerspace.

Im running my gardening services. I had a car and trailer for a year as I built up my client base, it proved extremely useful when taking cuttings to the tip as no questions, no need for a permit etc. I now have a van and a permit..

I use the same gear, machines, PPE etc as the pro tree surgeons and I know my limitations when it comes to tackling trees. I'm lucky to have the support of a couple of pro tree surgeons if I get a query from a customer re trees that need climbers. I'm happy to pass the work on.

I do stump grinding and have to hire a grinder from the local tool hire when needed. I do a pro job and have seen some of the results of not so pro tree surgeons.

I get regular calls to rescue gardens after the cheap and cheerful have been in and hacked the place to bits, sometimes they include the not so professional pro tree surgeons charging a grand to cut chip and take away.

There's a guy who's knocked down a load of conifers from about 35-40' down to fence height 5'. He's driving a corsa with a trailer smaller than the car. Been doing the job for two days now and barely taken much away. If I had done the same I'd reckon a day and a bit moving logs.

What really surprised me was that he was using one of those cheap Chinese fake stihls. Spotted it a mile off. Bashing stuff down in the trailer. He's parked on an outside kerb on a roundabout and there's lots of people walking past that point he nearly took a cyclists head off. No signs or cones or beacons. You come round a corner and find him in the way. Quite dangerous IMO.

Looked at a 40ft pine tree a while back, single stem, not much foliage, but a phone wire running through it.Striking distance of the house and a fence.

I said 200, brashings chipped a left on site at their request.Even said i`d ring up the stem.Thought it would be a mornings work.

Get a phone call that the womans husband had come home and `hit the roof` at the price and had someone to do it for fifty quid.

Good luck with that.