Hog/spit roast

Guss109

The wife has come up with the idea to have a hog roast for the wee ones birthday. Now I've looked online to try and hire a set up but not had any joy ( be very carefull what you put in to google:blushing:) so I'm just thinking of buying a drum BBQ and a rotisserie has anyone done this and had any joy? I'm open to suggestions and ideas

The wife has come up with the idea to have a hog roast for the wee ones birthday. Now I've looked online to try and hire a set up but not had any joy ( be very carefull what you put in to google:blushing:) so I'm just thinking of buying a drum BBQ and a rotisserie has anyone done this and had any joy? I'm open to suggestions and ideas

It is the best way to feed people at a party, and possibly the cheapest. I made a spit roast out of my fathers 1936 bicycle and my brothers windscreen wiper motor, One revolution per minute about right, get a pit dug plenty deep enough and light well ahead. You could borrow mine if you werent so far away. A pig is far too long to go over a barbecue, and they take a bit of turning because they get unbalanced when they cook. (balance up with mole grips etc clamped to the shaft)

All you need to do is weld up a rotisserie frame and make sure you have plenty of good dry wood to hand.

You wouldn't have a pic of it? Tried the local butcher but don't have the stuff. As for the pig I know a few people in the meat trade so got that one covered

My Dad made a Spit Roast machine using the Cogs and Chain from an old 10 speed Bike using a small Electric Motor to power it.From memory it took about 12 hours to Roast a 100lb Pig.

Crush up Cloves and put them in with 2lb of Honey thinned out with Cheap Whisky,keep painting it on a few hours from when you are ready to serve.

I have a big old gas powered chinese bbq with rotisserie makes fantastic pork roast and chicken is out of this world. There is always a new one on ebay has reasonable reviews and makes about £300. Worth getting the rear infrared burner cos it seals the taste into the meat. You wont get a whole pig on but enough big joints to feed 30-40 people I would have thought. You may even use it for the next ten years.