Diesel or 3 phase

mikey10

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fitted a 3cylinder perkins p3 out of a road sweeper to a Stenner 48". The motor came with a hydraulic pump built into the timing cover which was a good match for the tractor hydraulics which it replaced for the bed motors. The 1500 rpm 20hp electric motor that came off was no match for the p3 in terms of grunt. This one little power pack supplied the power,hydraulics and a decent 12volt supply for night/worklights, it also did it all for a fraction of the running costs of the tractor running a monster pto driven genny and left the tractor free for other jobs.

Bob

So if the processor motor is 15 kw how would that work out if you take the smallest difference in electric and diesel (17.5p - 13.5p) 4 pence over a day of say 8 hours running? Thanks

15kW is about 20bhp. The thing is the tractor is only optimised at about 70% of rated power whereas the 3ph is is pretty good from hi idle to full power at the same speed. I expect the average power of the electric motor will be around 5kW so it will use about 40kWh per day, say £5. The tractor will use about £16 in fuel alone because it is sitting at hi idle between saw cuts.

I sold a Ransomes 250, 5 gang mower last year to a fella who is using the hydraulics off it to run a variety of tools including a block-splitter. They can be bought quite cheap if the heads are worn as they are very expensive to repair. They have a 23 hp Kubota D905 engine and very good Hyd pumps. I actually have another one for sale for 1200 euro, but I am in Ireland

Mikey10

I run a 1X42 combi. Last year we did 1000 tonnes. Electricity bill=650 pounds. A's point about the electric motor position is valid. Ours is raised on a platform to reduce regular clearing of sawdust.

Ed

Thanks for the info it looks like there could be a large saving by using electric, got to get a price for 3 phase to be installed which probably will pay for itself in a coupe of years in savings on diesel, as for sawdust blocking the motor we have a pipe on the sawdust outlet and a electric blower sending all the sawdust into a trailer, or is it the small amount of sawdust that drops underneath the problem?