Diesel or 3 phase

mikey10

Hi all thinking of swapping in my 1x42 and getting another one but combi pto and electric motor to run it off of 3 phase. Wondering if there would be much of a saving between electric & diesel as seem to be spending a fortune on diesel? And also is there any better processors than a 1x42 for about the same money if i am going change? Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if there would be much of a saving between electric & diesel as seem to be spending a fortune on diesel?

Diesel at best 40% conversion thermal energy to motion and costs ~7p/kWh, electricity ~90% conversion electricity to motion and costs ~12p/kWh but motor has a fraction of the maintenance costs.

In practice when using a 10 kW diesel to generate electricity we averaged only 20% conversion.

My guess would be a kWh at the shaft will cost between 17.5p and 35p for gasoil fuel and about 13.5p for 3ph electricity.

Fuel volume used will depend on the power of the tractor powering the processor.

I use an old MF 135, I go through about 15-20 litres a day powering a small processor at about 1200 rpm. It wont pick a bigger processor up agreed but it started life with about 45hp so should power one.

On the electric motor front just check where the motor is located in relation to where the sawdust falls. I have a small Japa 700 TRE (Tractpr or electric) by the time I have done 6 cube the motor is buried in sawdust. Had I been using the motor I would have to clear the sawdust every cube, very poor design, perhaps on the newer version its been changed.

A

A

Diesel at best 40% conversion thermal energy to motion and costs ~7p/kWh, electricity ~90% conversion electricity to motion and costs ~12p/kWh but motor has a fraction of the maintenance costs.

In practice when using a 10 kW diesel to generate electricity we averaged only 20% conversion.

My guess would be a kWh at the shaft will cost between 17.5p and 35p for gasoil fuel and about 13.5p for 3ph electricity.

So if the processor motor is 15 kw how would that work out if you take the smallest difference in electric and diesel (17.5p - 13.5p) 4 pence over a day of say 8 hours running? Thanks

Fuel volume used will depend on the power of the tractor powering the processor.

I use an old MF 135, I go through about 15-20 litres a day powering a small processor at about 1200 rpm. It wont pick a bigger processor up agreed but it started life with about 45hp so should power one.

On the electric motor front just check where the motor is located in relation to where the sawdust falls. I have a small Japa 700 TRE (Tractpr or electric) by the time I have done 6 cube the motor is buried in sawdust. Had I been using the motor I would have to clear the sawdust every cube, very poor design, perhaps on the newer version its been changed.

A

A

This is similar fuel use to me but just think apart from diesel cost it's wasting money by letting a tractor just sit there clocking up hours and wearing it out, was thinking that 3 phase would free up a tractor and save money.

This is similar fuel use to me but just think apart from diesel cost it's wasting money by letting a tractor just sit there clocking up hours and wearing it out, was thinking that 3 phase would free up a tractor and save money.

At 80 ppl thats around £12 - £16 a day for fuel. If you are using the processor a lot and have it permanently set up under cover then providing the motor is not going to get clogged with sawdust then yes it probably is the way to go. Using the processor for a day or two a week for maybe half the year in a field then I would leave it PTO.

I suppose another thing to consider is the set up time, by teh time I have got the tractor fueled up, out where I want it, lined up with the rack, set up. Then the teleporter checked, fit the log grab, get a trailer, park trailer, load rack. It was almost 90 minutes this morning between arriving on site and cutting the first logs. It also take an hour to put it all away , clear the sawdust mountain up etc etc.

Its not that with a small 135 you can do much else with it, mine has a loader but with a grab on the front its very very hard to steer, no power steering.

A

Edited by Alycidon

If your in a position to use an electric model and it will remain that way I don't see a down side. Quieter, cheaper to run, neater presuming by diesel you mean tractor. Only consideration I see is resale.

Yes I do mean diesel tractor as for resale that why I am thinking of combi pto and electric, plus can still use it on tractor if needed say if cutting logs not in the yard.

When you say diesel mike do you mean tractor. I was possibly looking at a processor with 13hp petrol engine which uses about £10 in a working day. I had thought about fitting a 11-20 hp diesel engine.

I think the processor I am looking at needs more than 13 hp, it's 15kw what ever that converts to?