Self employed rights

walkerboys

Now I'm surprised folk think ok to charge self employed or otherwise for kit.

My kit is my responsibility. If I give permission to some one else to use I do it accepting I am still responsible for any damage.

Just me?

Dave

That was my thought on things!there good enuf to take it out but soon as something goes wrong it's chargeable to the self employed its not wright

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my thought on things!there good enuf to take it out but soon as something goes wrong it's chargeable to the self employed its not wright

If the self employed breaks something of mine through negligence or deliberately then he should pay but if its an accident or wear and tear then that's fair enough. And if I was a self employed lad and If i broke something through negligence then I would pay.

Sent from Outerspace.

If the self employed breaks something of mine through negligence or deliberately then he should pay but if its an accident or wear and tear then that's fair enough. And if I was a self employed lad and If i broke something through negligence then I would pay.

Yup, seconded.

I don't get it, no way can comment be passed on wrong or right on the info given here, if you work in a messy environment that's where you are, good job it was kit that got broke & not an injury.

Just my opinion, but a post looking for advice on an issue regarding liability for anything at all ought to be presented with all the facts, & in context, otherwise it's just blurry blurb looking for uninformed opinions, & that's a waste of time.

Hi any advice would be good!my friend works for a tree surgeon he is self employed and works there all year! a winch broke on a job they were on!the casting cracked on the winch!so my question is as been self employed who is responsible for it his boss is say my mate has to pay for it as he is self employed but surely this isn't right as I say it's a bit of a grey area for me as I've had self employed lads still do but they have never had to pay for day to day were and tear

Cheers

Mark

If you want to carry on working for him, take it on the chin , sounds like you are not really self employed , more of a convenience arraignment with your boss, to his convenience, set your own standards .

From the way you present it it appears the "BOSS" is wanting it all ways. employ people on a self employed basis, (which means they are to supply their own tools to do the job), You don't mention if the winch was checked lolered (which it should be as a piece of lifting equipment) or the circumstances of the incident, age and condition of winch etc. It sounds to me like there should be a compromise somewhere in all this. If your mate wants to continue working for this chap could he purchase and use his own winch? Rarely are these things black and white. Meet the Boss halfway seems reasonable and certainly worth a try! ( I make the comments as a Boss BTW) Things can break every day that's why the Boss builds overheads and contingencies into each job. If itw wilfull neglect or damage your mate should offer to pay.. that's my two pennyworth....

Screw the boss, hes trying to have his cake and eat it to (And yes, Im a "boss" to)

IMHO If the boss brings a piece of equipment to a job that is used to make it more profitable for him AND expects others to operate it and its damaged through normal usage then its his bill. Would he expect you to pay for a blown chipper motor on the job?

The "self employed" arb should contribute if

1) He misused it or deliberately did something to wreck it

2) If he recieves a percentage of the profit from the job