A level tosh

Dean Lofthouse

Per dear Tone's masterplan 50% of school leavers were to attend University.

I keep asking wtf jobs were those Graduates going to get.

How many NHS Managers, Doctors, Soliciters, Civil Engineers etc, does any civilized society require?

And Nursing is not a Degree requiring job.

Why was a rigorous apprenticship scheme for trades people not encouraged.

Like the "Tech's" provided 40 year ago.

I guess 10%?, 15%? abs max 20% of any population are truely University material.

Rant over.

with nursing sadly those who do a nurse degree unlike old days hardly see a ward untill they have finished there exams.

if you wanted to be a nurse you did your basics then went on a ward and did everything including doing the bed pans then did more classwork and back on wards including nights. no more hence so many care asistants because not all but a lot will not get there hands dirty.

we have become in this country must have a degree and same with firms. must have a degree for job. whats happened to the old fasion train on the job whilst getting the paperwork. as has been said on this forum re having the skills to do the job to be a tree surgeon you can be good on paperwork but are you any good with tools. it takes years to hone those skills under a good mentor. how did the older ones learn being shown how to do it at the coal face. yes have trained people but part of that training should have a part for working on the job and checked by someone when doing certain jobs. and a lot getting degrees are not getting jobs.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with nursing sadly those who do a nurse degree unlike old days hardly see a ward untill they have finished there exams.

Sorry but this is not true.

My wife is 2/3rds her way through her studies as a nurse and over the three years it's 50/50 between working on the ward and classroom teaching.

Those who go on to 6th form have already been to school and know what subjects they are good at, so why would they take an A level that they were going to fail???

Its about the grade, not just passing.

Its so funny that a group of ill educated, grumpy, old tree choppers are moaning about kids trying to get a decent start in life :001_rolleyes:

It's not about that Dave, you only have to look within the NHS to see what is happening, the degree pass threshold is so low, many of the nurses getting through are thick as pig shite and shouldn't be in the job

You,d be surprised how many can't do simple maths, quite an important attribute considering they are calculating how miles to inject into you. This is one of the reasons they have had to put in fail safe measures such as a second nurse checking and signing off the first nurse and then we may as well have a third nurse checking the second nurses decision.

All this adds up to wasted time through measures to prevent thicko,s that should be in the job making mistakes, all the nurses running round checking and double checking each others work

It's not about that Dave, you only have to look within the NHS to see what is happening, the degree pass threshold is so low, many of the nurses getting through are thick as pig shite and shouldn't be in the job

You,d be surprised how many can't do simple maths, quite an important attribute considering they are calculating how miles to inject into you. This is one of the reasons they have had to put in fail safe measures such as a second nurse checking and signing off the first nurse and then we may as well have a third nurse checking the second nurses decision.

All this adds up to wasted time through measures to prevent thicko,s that should be in the job making mistakes, all the nurses running round checking and double checking each others work

Would that be millimetres 😜, and when it come to the drugs round there should be two nurses checking each other, down here your looking at one nurse to 12-14 patients, also with the ever increasing paper work when do they get time to actually care for them?

My other half is glad shes out of nursing and a midwife

Would that be millimetres ,

Predictive text :biggrin:

.....Which is another reason half the nurses are illiterate, I kid you not, many are terrible at spelling, yet the entry requirements ( depending on the course ) were 5 gcse at grade c or above.

How did they achieve this if they can't even write legibly

I really feel that too many kids are led too believe that it's a levels or nothing not enough time is given to vocational courses . I did A levels then realised that they weren't everything and went to do a forestry course at Lincoln

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I really feel that too many kids are led too believe that it's a levels or nothing not enough time is given to vocational courses . I did A levels then realised that they weren't everything and went to do a forestry course at Lincoln

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Little harsh.

Its horses for courses.

My eldest boy was not very academic and had always said he wanted to join me in tree work, so I took him on as an apprentice.

My younger boy is very academic, he hopes to become a Surgeon, so he will be doing A levels then on to university.

I'm just glad that kids today have choices and can take full advantage of all the opportunities available, if they work hard enough.

Little harsh.

It's horses for courses.

What's harsh about that? He's not slating them, he's just stating the truth- that they are not the be all and end all. In fact, I reckon you two are singing from the same hymn sheet!

As an aside, I'm willing to bet a fair few members on here making good money running their own business have no formal qualifications.

Would that be millimetres 😜, and when it come to the drugs round there should be two nurses checking each other, down here your looking at one nurse to 12-14 patients, also with the ever increasing paper work when do they get time to actually care for them?

My other half is glad shes out of nursing and a midwife

Or could it be milliliters?:)