Weight of logs and vehicle.

Woodworks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Now I'm really confused.

As you say the letter is adamant but the up to date guidance on the website says not actual weight but the permissible.

Oh well, I like the answer from the letter much better, so I'll rely on that!

I notice that Ifor Williams seem to have removed this letter from their website and downloads and replaced it with a new flow chart. It's got more weights and proportions in it for good measure!

Thanks for the letter :biggrin:

I would have thought that letter would at least give us some wiggle room. Seems crazy that it would be OK to have small trailer maxed out instead of a big solid trailer under loaded. I would like to think if I did get pulled common sense would prevail :001_rolleyes:

follow the links that have been supplied previous messages but essentially you dont need a tacho for a caravan or if you are towing machinery for use within 50km of base but if your towing goods for sale then you need one. vosa gave us an example if you take a horse to competition but dont win a prize your fine without a tacho if you win the competition and get for example £20 prize you have received a reward and must have a tacho to take your horse away.

yes that is very true we have a restricted operators licence and run three trucks 26 tonne truck and a 12 ton truck and a new 3.5ton iveco horsebox

the two big trucks are on the o licence but the 3,5 isnt but if we was too put a towbar on and tow a trailer with a gross weight over 750kg we would need a tacho and come under the o licence maintainance scheduele and that is it final in there eyes

so bang goes the idea of taking 2 horses in the box and two horses in the trailer and fly up the motorway not having to worry too much about driving hrs and breaks which would save alot of time and money these days

vosa now expect all traders too be up to speed with new regulations and laws as a responsible buisness owner

but there so many grey areas and loopholes to do with transport these days it is so fli#####ing confusing:confused1::confused1:

Read exclusion 17 of the below.If you are forestry based and within 100km this exclusion may fit.

Bob

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211905/hgv-tachograph-exemption-application-form.pdf

Well found! I think this would give a strong argument. I am always trying to make sure I am under weight, but this tacograph business is just jobs for the boys. Apparently it costs around £1000 to retrospectively fit one! I operate from a farm so I can just say it is part of farm/ forestry business.

It's Peter that put it up not me. As I said I'm not necessarily right but I'm confident enough on this issue that I'd be prepared to go to court to contest such an issue, then again I'd probably be doing something else wrong that Id be done for instead :-)

That letter doesnt apply to this situation. The towing vehicle is capable of towing a 3.5 tonne trailer, the towing vehicle is plated at 3.5 tonne, so combined MAM 7 tonnes = you need a tacho unless using an exemption.

Read exclusion 17 of the below.If you are forestry based and within 100km this exclusion may fit.

Bob

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211905/hgv-tachograph-exemption-application-form.pdf

You could always hang a dead rabbit off the tailboard and use exemption 19:lol:

They wrote the rules.:sneaky2:

Bob