colleges

dodger

Gibbon, where abouts are you based?

I would rather not say on this thread as it would be easy to work out which college i meant.

I really don't mean to through mud, but I have been extremely frustrated with this place as they are also the nptc training centre for the county. It is only a few miles from my yard, yet I have had to send employees to another county for assesment as they wouldn't assess them without having been trained there. Last time I had 2 guys who needed an 39 assesment and we waited 4 months before giving up. Got 1 in 2 days from another centre.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont really know if this is relvent but i think the college are at fault as well due to them telling students theres big money in the arb industry and some students will leave college thinking they can walk straight into a climbers job and make big buck without having a basic knowledge of all parts of tree work. im not saying students shouldnt be taken on as climbers but they must be pretty special to walk straight into a climbers job. if college told students there was big money in it but they would need to work hard and work through the ranks more people would have a better idea about how it works in terms of employment.

some may agree and some may think im talking complete p**h but thats my opinion.

hi guys,

when i went to college i had worked for 18months before dragging brash, when i went to college i had some of the best lecturers i could have wanted and a good set of guys to study with. admittedly there are now only 8 or 9 who are now working and doing well and working with good companies. when i was there i wanted to do the job so bad and tried my hardest and still do now. i worked at a very good company and had to drag brash and got some great tuition from the boss and other people i worked with.

the point i am trying to make is that there are issues but the issues are not only with the colleges but also with the employers, if i had gone some where and just dragged brash for weeks i would not still be doing it now i think the colleges should get students a basic understanding of what they are doing and give them some real experiences and then the employers bring them on. yer you have to earn your climbs but most companies are so driven by the money and not by helping other climbers.

i expect some flak for this post but it is just what i have noticed. i am lucky to be doing what i do now because of the people who got me there and they were in the colleges and the industry i think they need to work together and not resent.