Topping dead firs

RC0

Thanks all. Its not exactly a mainstream tree-climber topic, but glad I was able to get the points across it seems.

Enjoyed that reg, a good friend of mine has been hooked up with a guy looking for climbers in Canada for heli logging, lots of big trees and they all involve knocking the tops out first.. They recon you should be averaging 15 a day but bearing in mind the only big trees I've felled are broad leaves and a couple of big spruces up in keilder I was wondering how I would cope with this.. Mind has been racing all week about widow makers from tops and just dealing with trees that are twice the size in the UK ... Your vids give a good insight , cheers for taking the time to post.

Thanks Matty

One of my best attributes has always been my ignorance. Mainly the ability to switch it on and off when needed. If you ever make out this way I'll gladly lend you some....there's more than enough to go around.

Seriously, you'd be fine mate I'm sure:thumbup1:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Reg

Thanks for posting the video, enjoyable watch.

I can relate to your points through an experience with topping out a lombardi poplar, although it wasn't dead the wind effect (slight breeze) on the top was the same and I learnt very quickly to get that wedge in asap!

Cheers

James

Smooth as ever Reg, and I managed to stay awake through the talk-through, which I actually really appreciated.

That resonance from spiking rhythm has rarely happened to me because I climb dead trees like a sloth, but its a very valid point.

Out of interest, what method do you use if the top is too skinny to fit wedges behind the bar?

I get by by pushing like a loon with my extended left arm whilst one-handing with my right, but this always gives me the s***s to be honest.

Is there a better way when a pull line can't be used?

As ever, thanks for taking the time mate.

Thanks all.

Burrell its the Drift HD

Smooth as ever Reg, and I managed to stay awake through the talk-through, which I actually really appreciated.

That resonance from spiking rhythm has rarely happened to me because I climb dead trees like a sloth, but its a very valid point.

Out of interest, what method do you use if the top is too skinny to fit wedges behind the bar?

I get by by pushing like a loon with my extended left arm whilst one-handing with my right, but this always gives me the s***s to be honest.

Is there a better way when a pull line can't be used?

As ever, thanks for taking the time mate.

Watch in HD: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jquP1x--f3o]Topping a skinny fir - YouTube[/ame]

Same as you mate, its hard not to use the spare hand. That particular tree for example was about 130 to 140 and like a bean-pole. I had a house almost right under me, and only a little space to place a small top as there was a shrub just a meter to the right of where it landed. As you see i use the free hand to tip the top, but also to throw the butt further to get it where I wanted it to go. Ideally you would use a handsaw when pushing with the freehand....but that was one of those situations where I needed it to break clean and wasn't about to mess around handsawing.

If you're just talking about getting the top to tip then take weight of the back where you can....sometimes a deep face can help undermine the balance too. Pry bars work to an extent but sometimes they just bent the wood at the kerf.

I think in the absence of wind, if you take a good look at a top and try to envisage falling it from the ground....in which case most of them dont look that much which ought to put your mind at ease. When you're high up its easy to start pushing like hell way too soon and start panicking when nothing is happening. The whole time the reason its not happening is because the hinge is nowhere near ready to fold:biggrin:, but our fears and adrenalin are already in overdrive.

Here's a tree about 170.....you should get a glimpse of where I took some of the backweight off as it falls....gives much piece of mind when you're up there: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEMIy9b3-vQ]Fir top 3 - YouTube[/ame]