Heights

ambo100

Could just about handle rock climbing but to be honest was always scared. Started a tree climbing course but when we moved onto large open parkland type trees I could not handle the exposure and had to bail on the course. What's so annoying is it's completely irrational I know the limbs won't break and the gear is tested to something like 2.5 tons but my brain and body would not cooperate. Only ground based work for me :thumbdown:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good, honest replies there. I only climb for fun and I find focusing on my immediate space helps - the stem and limbs immediately around you. Its the same at 10' or 70' (not got really high yet!) When height does come into play is when its windy. The nearer the top, the wobblier it gets! Also having lots of close, easy reach limbs helps. Big, angled laterals with few sub branches make me 'focus' a bit! It gets better the more you do and the more/different situations you face. Like the very first time took your hand off the branch and leaned back in the harness.

Weather you are working or playing at heights i think its healthy to have a certain amount of fear/ respect for it. Used to do competition rock climbing and whilst training in an old quarry in Cornwall i had a fall and broke my back.

I had a nice warm up route i used to do before attempting much harder routes, was only about 30 foot and i had climbed it so much i was comfortable enough to free climb it. That was until i had a break from training at that location for a few weeks. Came back and didnt reccy the top out (stupid!). Got to the top only to find that moss and algae had covered the top. I took two handfuls of moss and off i went. Lucky i passed out before i hit the ground (overload of adrenalin apparently is the bodies defence mechanism).

That was 4 years ago and i still struggle from time to time with the height issue.

Guess what im trying to say is never get complacent and double check everything and you should be golden.

Sorry for the long winded story.

Good story and a message to us all. Once saw someone fall whilst leading a climb and got to far above his last point and fell to the ground. That was at Kendal climbing wall and landed on the rubber matting still broke his arm and a leg

Give me a 100' tree any day over stripping ivy off a 20' ladder. Anyone else strop into the ladder just for the comfort blanket feel of it?

Only if the ladder is secured. If it goes, I'd rather take my chances landing and rolling than being tangled up in a ladder with no control.

I still remember the time, (some years ago now), I suddenly found myself working in 3d rather than working at height. Climbing Mojo.