Chipper advise

Orchard gm

Looking at buying my first chipper, I do mainly domestic jobs, quite a lot of conifers etc!

Do I buy used or lease a new machine? Do get petrol or diesel? Gravity or roller feed?

Any advice from those who have been there before?

Thanks

I was in your position not so long ago, I bit the bullet and went for a brand new 6 inch roller feed diesel, so far i think its the best decision i've made.

when i compare what we were spending on hire machines, time lost etc. having the chipper changed every thing. I would hate to be in a position where I had spent all i had on a second hand machine then find out its not reliable.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yer I do like the idea of a new one, I bought a 5 year old vw transporter when I started out 1 year later the engine blew, the lesson I learned, buy the newest you can afford. It may not be to the exact spec but the van cost me thousands to fix which could have initially bought me a new one!!

I kind of think it would be the same with the chipper? Plus I want to be able to know its not gonna let me down? The hire machine I borrow is b%#€cks!

First chipper, Then if you want a good all round machine and have an old style driving licence and can tow over the stupid 750kg law then don't buy any British made chipper, look to buy a used USA chipper with a letter box infeed, some thing like a Bandit 65, Vermeer or the Terex 700 chippers . These type of chippers will give you high performance and low running cost which includes fuel costs as they will eat up your wood with out the anti stress allways coming in and they will take true dia materal. As a rule a 6x6 infeed will not do 6" material. You dont need to be on site trimmimg up all day for it to fit in the infeed of your chipper. you want to be able to feed and go. This all sounds great but only if you can tow over 750kg as the USA chippers will come in around the 1100kg. Hope this helps . Good luck.

First chipper, Then if you want a good all round machine and have an old style driving licence and can tow over the stupid 750kg law then don't buy any British made chipper, look to buy a used USA chipper with a letter box infeed, some thing like a Bandit 65, Vermeer or the Terex 700 chippers . These type of chippers will give you high performance and low running cost which includes fuel costs as they will eat up your wood with out the anti stress allways coming in and they will take true dia materal. As a rule a 6x6 infeed will not do 6" material. You dont need to be on site trimmimg up all day for it to fit in the infeed of your chipper. you want to be able to feed and go. This all sounds great but only if you can tow over 750kg as the USA chippers will come in around the 1100kg. Hope this helps . Good luck.

when did terex start doing chippers i work for them and i didnt know they even sold them

I will stick up for Timberwolf as I love em, I've had 2 and would recommend them. If you look after them and you maintain them well then you will get years of use from it. Yes there are other machines out there that people say are better etc but I can't comment on these as I've never used anything other than Timberwolf.

Sent from Outerspace.

Ill second that! Ive had 2 190's and never a pick of bother at all, not in 10 years and trust me that aint had an easy life

Tw 150 have worked really well for me..Dont hire them out or let idiots use and they should last, I have used jensons and was not particularly excited about them.. Three of the lads I have had working for me now use them and hate them with a passion.. Maybe they should look after them better and they may chip better one lad sent me a pic of his 2 year old one a few months back !!

http://null-5.jpg

Tw 150 have worked really well for me..Dont hire them out or let idiots use and they should last, I have used jensons and was not particularly excited about them.. Three of the lads I have had working for me now use them and hate them with a passion.. Maybe they should look after them better and they may chip better one lad sent me a pic of his 2 year old one a few months back !!

http://null-5.jpg

I would have said it was a lot older than 2 years :ohmy: guess it goes to show why you should look after your gear