company days out.

Eddie Coyle

I shouldn't tar all the lads who help/helped me with the same brush though, the guys who help now a sound, they get a round in if we stop at the pub as well as me and a few of em bought my son a gift when he was born. I guess as another poster has said you can soon work out who is take, take, take and who is just a decent person.

Sent from Outerspace.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there , done that , paid for breaky every day for months and years in some cases, gave bonuses, let them use kit and vehicles and most of them would come out a shop and never think to buy me a juice!!!

Nights out, meals , bowling, currys.

Even bought 1 a car once and another lad sorted his £32k worth of credit cards and gave him saws and hedge cutters and a friend gave him a van and I did all his trees at his house costing me £500.

I gave the guys £80 bonus for 2 hours work ontop of their wages.

Never heard from him again!

Put 2 guys through chainsaw courses, 1 never came back to work and threatened me so I gave him money, the other chucked it soon after for another job!

The more you give the less you get from my experience!

You sound like an appreciative guy, you are a rare breed!!:)

Ranty rant over!:)

I've been in the same boat as you Stephen and agree with your last sentiment "The more you give the less you get".

I've found from experience that if you treat them like dirt, they'll work like slaves because they fear they'll be sacked any moment. Then they'll leave on a whim and slag you off.

If you treat them really well they'll expect you to treat them like royalty.

Then they'll leave on a whim and slag you off!

However, I have a conscience and if I'm fair, I can sleep well at night after they have left.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

I've never had any problems with my guys.

I'm 56 and they are all in their 20s so the music/humour etc is a bit different (one of them being my son makes it a bit different too but he knows he has to more than earn his money or he will be accused of an easy life)

My approach is

Price the job, do the job, pay the guys for the job.

If they work hard they go home when they finish - no 'filling the time' or not coming back to the yard in case they get sent out on another job.

If ever it's a 'short' day I tell them in advance so they can make other arrangements, but if the earnings are within 75% of a full days earnings I pay them the full amount anyway - occasionally we earn a bit over the full day amount so it's swings and doodahs

I wouldn't want to replace any of them and theyve been with me between 4 and 8 years.

Every xmas they get a bonus, an evening racing go karts followed by an evening meal and a few pints.

I know I can trust them and they dont seem to hate me too much so it works fine.

I buy them food/drink some lunch times and the odd ice-cream along the sea front.

On rainy days I let them play with the scalextric while we decide what to do job-wise.

There's good and bad everywhere, I'm lucky to have good guys and they are lucky to have me!

We have the odd day out. Normally paid day out go karting or quad bikes followed by meal and beers and bonus at xmas. Not every year but sometimes we go to the trade show as a paid day out. We've also offered paid days off with bowling beers and a meal if we can hit a deadline for an unusually big job.

Good staff are an asset and should be rewarded for hard work. If they take the urine they will be down the road swiftly.

I saved my employer 1.2 million in lost funding so at Christmas I was given a chocolate snowman... the same 'bonus' that was given to the staff that caused the majority of those losses.

I would have been tempted to have filled said Snowman with "Dog Chocolate" and placed it on their Desk.

930189]Been there ' date=' done that[/b'] , paid for breaky every day for months and years in some cases, gave bonuses, let them use kit and vehicles and most of them would come out a shop and never think to buy me a juice!!!

Nights out, meals , bowling, currys.

Even bought 1 a car once and another lad sorted his £32k worth of credit cards and gave him saws and hedge cutters and a friend gave him a van and I did all his trees at his house costing me £500.

I gave the guys £80 bonus for 2 hours work ontop of their wages.

Never heard from him again!

Put 2 guys through chainsaw courses, 1 never came back to work and threatened me so I gave him money, the other chucked it soon after for another job!

The more you give the less you get from my experience!

You sound like an appreciative guy, you are a rare breed!!:)

Ranty rant over!:)

Hate that expression! at least you didn't say "Got the T shirt"