Stolen - Recovered!

PeteB

A while back, a customer of mine rented a GreenMech woodchipper to a new customer and took copies of his I.D, credit card etc and all seemed good. The payment for the first week went through etc. The gentleman then stopped answering his phone and subsequently, it was discovered that all was false and the Police subsequently caught him. He has a history of doing this and has already spent 4 years at Her Majesty's pleasure for a similar set of circumstances.

The woodchipper recently turned up at a dealers for a service etc and has been impounded by the Police. The chap who took it to the dealer got it of a "gent"after it was advertised on an auction website. The buyer paid cash and admitted it was a "bargain", now, he has no chipper.

The case is to go to Crown Court soon and the accused is likely to do more stir!

Why don't people ring and ask about a machines history? Why are they surprised when the "bargain" suddenly appears less so?

Please, Please, PLEASE, ask questions about the provenance of a used machine, if it checks out? Pay for it using a secure method, if you sell something and a cheque, bank draft etc is offered, ring the issuer before handing over the goods,!!!

Good result. Not so good for the bloke who brought it.

Have greenmech ever thought of doing a machinery record type thing.

They sell a machine and make a track of who has it. Then if they sell it or scrap it they inform you so you have a record of it. Then if anyone is in any doubt they can contact greenmech and just ask?

I know it could be a difficult thing to do. If one manufacturer starts it others may follow.

Like most "original" suppliers, we record who it goes to 1st, thence forth it can be a lottery. If we know of its subsequent owners, this is noted. If someone reports a loss, the dealership network gets a "round robin" email, making them aware of serial number.

If any potential buyer asks for the history, we will give what we have, freely.

Like most "original" suppliers, we record who it goes to 1st, thence forth it can be a lottery. If we know of its subsequent owners, this is noted. If someone reports a loss, the dealership network gets a "round robin" email, making them aware of serial number.

JCB always ask for the serial number of the machine when you make a parts enquiry, I think this is to check ownership.

Good result. Not so good for the bloke who brought it.

Have greenmech ever thought of doing a machinery record type thing.

They sell a machine and make a track of who has it. Then if they sell it or scrap it they inform you so you have a record of it. Then if anyone is in any doubt they can contact greenmech and just ask?

I know it could be a difficult thing to do. If one manufacturer starts it others may follow.

It actually would be easy enough to do however convincing the manufacturers and dealers that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure seems to be a far different story:thumbdown:. Apathy on the part of the manufacturers, dealers leaves the owner/operator left holding the bag when equipment ends up stolen or turns up at auction being offered at a deal to good to be true!

I am happy for a positive result with the recovery of the stolen property.

Actually reinforces my faith in mankind:001_smile:

easy-lift guy

I asked Pete's advice on a secondhand GM I went to have a look at. He confirmed the owner and history for me - which gave me a warm fuzzy feeling when handing over my hard earned! :thumbup:

I suppose on the flip side, there are Arborists that don't use Arbtalk and are not aware of the benefits! ........there are also those that are willing to send cash to the Shetlands for a "STEAL"!!

Thanks Pete!