ODTS Poisioned from woodchips

Tree:Tment

Very, very interesting reading. Got thrugh the whole thread captivated with this new (to me) information.

My heart sank, remembering three black bags of chips i forgot about that have been outside for best part of a month now, and cringed remembering when i took a lungful of a sniff a few weeks back to check how my mulch project was fermenting. Ah.

I'm just starting out, please go easy on me lol, the mulch was a study in biodegration, not for profit..! Mainly two or three big limbs off of a small tree, logs logged and all the wee stuff put through my kemp chipper. Should i get a mask and dispose of .. somewhere far away ? :confused1:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi bvf.

Always best to wear a mask if there is a risk of mould spores. Even a disposable valved one with the right spec will be a big advantage in the open. The CO is only a risk in confined spaces, spores will be more of a risk when disturbed, and worse when confined such as in the back of a van so a better mask then perhaps?

Good to see the info in this thread being read and hopefully acted on. Continue your study if you wish but I would suggest no more sniffing.

• 10 months later...

I went to the docs a few weeks ago due to a persistent cough, I explained it could be due to farm work & handling dusty hay. He put me on a dose of antibiotics and it helped stop the cough but I've still been occasionally coughing up little bits of flem, feels like it's coming up from my lungs.

I've been composting hay and turned it with the mini digger yesterday. Door shut, window shut.... result is that been coughing my ass off to the point where it makes my stomach urge.

Think a trip back to the docs is on the cards & maybe an x-Ray?

It's quite depressing not feeling able to work on total form.

Anyone else coughing at the mo?

cheers, steve

I developed a constant cough and wheeze which X Ray's couldn't show up anything 'sinister' as they put it. I have wised up to these blinking spores and dust now, so if we're short handed and I put myself on the chipper all day,I wear good quality valves masks, and also when crosscutting all day or splitting. Often when you're in the zone you can't see the dust that's all around you. Never used to bother but I certainly do now.

Drs can find out if you have farmers lung with a blood test for anti bodies. I was tested turned out to be asthma sorted out out with an inhaler, look after yourself.

That's good to know thanks. I'll ask Doc for a blood test.

Sometimes breathing very wheezy so I've been having the occasional puff on my sons asthma device and that seems to be help.

When it's bad I could hear a cackle when inhaling/exhaling, not nice.

Not sure the last doctor I saw took it that seriously, despite me mentioning handling dusty hay/ compost materials.

Feel much better this morning - but I'm more worried about long term implications as it's easy to carry on, ignoring the warnings.

cheers, Steve

Get well soon. Sounds like farmer's lung.

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/442/442-602/442-602_pdf.pdf

Have you read the whole thread Steve? There's some interesting / sobering comments!

Take due care!

Thanks Kevin. Yes I've read through it all & commented last year.

I've been wearing lightweight disposable masks but didn't have one on inside the digger yesterday... thought I'd be okay what with being inside a closed cab!

cheers, steve

I developed a constant cough and wheeze which X Ray's couldn't show up anything 'sinister' as they put it. I have wised up to these blinking spores and dust now, so if we're short handed and I put myself on the chipper all day,I wear good quality valves masks, and also when crosscutting all day or splitting. Often when you're in the zone you can't see the dust that's all around you. Never used to bother but I certainly do now.

Think I should invest in a better mask. Which one do you use?

cheers, steve

I find these ones pretty good when I'm dealing with horrid dusty Ivy and similar crap.

Moulded FFP3 Masks Valved Pack 5 FFP3 Masks Valved Code 8632

I believe that Mr Bolam favours this model.

That's the same ones I've been using (FFP3's).

The other one looks nice and should be posted in the 'Gimp Thread' on Arbtalk. :bootyshake:

cheers, Steve