How does this look for a first climbing kit?

LewisPH

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again everyone. Will probably go for a simple loop instead then to get started - Did some more ground work today and the climber was only on a prusik - If it's good enough for him I'm sure I can learn with it! Can always add a pulley later on.

Cheers for the offer Arran, I'll definitely be in touch once I've sorted some gear out! My main job is actually at Bluewater so you're nearby - Would love to meet some new people as well so sounds great!

A slack tending pulley is not a luxury, its a neccesity. Theres no point learmning the old hard way, if hes never going to actually climb the old hard way, being as he is into rec climbign, I doubt he be learning the old way.

Rec climbing and work climbing are two very different things, but I would say the average rec climber now has a better gasp of basic rope techniques than a lot of 'work' climbers. Id find one of these kind lads who live near bye and can help you determine the system you will learn to climb on, and maybe it will be the 'old hard way', but it doesnt have too, there are many ways to skin the tree climbing cat.

Good luck,.

Hi mate cambium saver should be used but I'd say the combination of new prussiks, new rope and a cambium saver is a recipe for a far to quick decent for a beginner they'll also be a fair bit of slipping. I'd suggest asking to borrow some good condition used prussiks on your new rope until its worn in a bit. Then go to your new prussiks.

Remember you should always climb with someone with you.

A slack tending pulley is not a luxury, its a neccesity. Theres no point learmning the old hard way, if hes never going to actually climb the old hard way, being as he is into rec climbign, I doubt he be learning the old way.

Rec climbing and work climbing are two very different things, but I would say the average rec climber now has a better gasp of basic rope techniques than a lot of 'work' climbers. Id find one of these kind lads who live near bye and can help you determine the system you will learn to climb on, and maybe it will be the 'old hard way', but it doesnt have too, there are many ways to skin the tree climbing cat.

Good luck,.

Good point, he should start with a pulley saver at the top and a hitch climber with a 3-2 vt or even better a spiderjack... :lol:

A prussic isn't the "old hard way" that would be climbing 3 strand. Using a 3 knot system or a prussic is an easy simple way to start until you get a feel for how your system works and some experience in positioning yourself in the tree, at which point you can move on to more involved systems and find what works for the individual.

A slack tending pulley is certainly not a necessity. Practically all climbers I speak to started off with a prussic before some moved onto different systems (quite a few of them still use them)

Practice new techniques LOW AND SLOW before moving to more technical systems.

A slack tending pulley is not a luxury, its a neccesity. Theres no point learmning the old hard way

A pulley is far from a necessity, you can work perfectly well without one.

There is every point learning the "old" way, everyone who goes up a tree should be able to tie and work off a three knot system even if they use another system