What would you do with this walnut?

muttley9050

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So its a fascinating derail here. But back to the original question, would you cut the board into 3 for planing or would you get it as flat as poss by hand and forget about the underside?

Cut the board into 3 and plane....

It'll keep on cupping and never be right so go with what the wood wants!

:001_smile:

Give the scrub plane a go. I bought a dead cheap no.4 and put a curve on the blade (about 4mm across the width). I did this by eye on a water cooled grinder (tormek). It is fantastice for flattening wide boards and can be quite quick. As Woodworks says cut across the grain. This can give a really good finish straight off the plane (similar to an adze), and several times I have left it like that on the finished piece.

As it happens, yes.

[ATTACH]126860[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]126861[/ATTACH]

Have checked the minimum combustible clearances that stove needs. Be a shame to set light to that surround.

Just looks a bit close but might be ok depending on the stove. Most are 600mm above but some are less.

A

Have checked the minimum combustible clearances that stove needs. Be a shame to set light to that surround.

Just looks a bit close but might be ok depending on the stove. Most are 600mm above but some are less.

A

Very true, your assumptions are well recieved and I am aware.

That stove was placed there as a measure only and since, a smaller one has been fitted.

Nice to see folk looking out for others on here though, it is appreciated.:thumbup1:

No mate, its walnut.

To be honest, I know Ive hammered the fun out of the firewood comments but its a reflection of how I feel about the milling market. What Ive found in our area at least, is many folk make a big noise about wanting premium hardwoods for various applications. As a result I started milling lots of it. Anything from copper beech, walnut and yew, to very big english and which elms. Also trials with stuff such as monkey, tree of heaven and maple.

The dissapointment and sarcasm comes from the follow up lack of interest(and money) in the said boards, beams and interesting pieces. As a result I have simply either logged most of it or made various items for myself.

It appears, as I say there seemed to be very little real interest in it around us and simply not viable.

Sorry if Ive come across negative or irrative, but I do think its a shame such premium stuf has ended up on the stove.

I do have a huge interest in the subject though and like to see creations resulted from it, hence my regular presence.

just read this well said have had the same experience,couldnt have put it better.

I've really enjoyed this thread. Thanks everyone.

The whole question of how to add value to wood within the woodland interests me a lot so I appreciate the advice and ideas.

We've been experimenting with rustic fencing, and all the ideas that go with the off-cuts from the mill.

I hadn't thought of approaching retailers direct. Will probably do that soon to see if they fancy some 'chacuterie' boards and then get planing.