anyone cut through a BT cable underground?

Matthew Storrs

Putting up a stock fence today at a remote houseon the moors in a field about 100m from the house, put the post auger down with the digger and went straight through an armoured bt cable- bliming typical. Anyone know roughly what open reach charge to put it back together? Various people on the web have suggested figures anywhere between 60 to a grand.

The cable was only 6 inches down, personally think if they must lay cables in a field they could at least put it deep enough so you could actually plough if you wanted if not put it overhead:confused1:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting up a stock fence today at a remote houseon the moors in a field about 100m from the house, put the post auger down with the digger and went straight through an armoured bt cable- bliming typical. Anyone know roughly what open reach charge to put it back together? Various people on the web have suggested figures anywhere between 60 to a grand.

The cable was only 6 inches down, personally think if they must lay cables in a field they could at least put it deep enough so you could actually plough if you wanted if not put it overhead:confused1:

Well it won't be £60 that I can tell you - got no idea what it will be but would guestimate hundreds:thumbdown:

Sorry - sounds like an insurance job to me

Seriously?

If they can't be bothered to bury it properly and mark its presence it is their lookout. I wouldn't pay that's for sure.

TBH in remote places they must be used to it, happens regularly to my line. (not due to me I hasten to add) and never heard of anybody having to pay.

Not much chance of fibre optic on a remote moor either.

If its a phone line it's not too bad, if it's a fibre optic. I hope your insurance is upto date...... Best of luck!

Doesn't look like fibre optic to me, its 8 bits of copper wire . Ah well, these things happen, when working around houses I'd check for services, but this was such a random spot down near a river I didn't give it a thought.

If its phone you are talking hundreds if its fiber optic the whole line will need to be replaced and could be tens of thousands. They will ask if you did a scan before commencing with work if not why not. Speak to bt and get it sorted asap. I have hit a gas pipe just off the main and my insurance footed the bill £3500 for a trench 5ft by 1ft .