Chainsaw Bar Oil

Andy Gentle

We use Plantoil. I know of a forestery company who are still using waste oil n there saws. No excuse for that.:thumbdown:

Now that is a bit naughty especially since used oil is supposed to be carcinogenic unless its been processed :scared1:

I would also be interested to know if the bio oil is worse for your health than mineral? No good saving the environment if I aint gonna be around as long to enjoy it :001_tongue:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting I was led to believe it was the other way round, you got me having doubts now, more research needed methinks.

Does anyone else have a view on which is more harmful to health?

Andy - I was told that the bio oils contain alot of chemicals which occur naturaly in the plants used to make them and can cause alot of problems such as infection in cuts, even on the fingers and that breathing in the oil can be harmful, whereas the mineral oil as already stated is effectivley sterile.

Considering all the crap pumped out by cars, engines, machinery and everything else about, I really don't believe using bio oil will make much difference to the environment in the long run, however, many contracts stipulate bio oil these days, in which case we use sunflower oil or veg oil out of the supermarket... runs a little thin though.

I was quoted £53.00 for a 20L drum of the stihl bio oil last week...

So I promptly went and got a 25L drum of the Oregon Super Saw Chain Oil for £32!

The bio oils are good for the environment, yes. But not good for the operator.

As the bio oils are made from plants and veg oils, they actually contain some pretty harmful stuff.

As far as I am aware you could pretty much drink the normal mineral oil and it wouldnt do you any harm at all.

I dont think consuming it is the problem its the vapour in your lungs....but then i cant imagine mineral oil in any way is good for you either..

Having the same problem andy , its just to expensive to justify now.

Just the climbing saws and 357 on bio now and have switched back to mineral for any saw above the 357 unless near water .

Quite a few years ago we went over to using biodegradable bar oil in the interests of the environment and also operators health.

Oregon Arborol has now been increased to an RRP of £100 (can be got for £60)for a 25ltr can compared to £32 for mineral oil. After shopping around the cheapest I can get biodegradable stuff for is £2 per Ltr in bulk (200 at a time).

Can anyone better this as I am thinking of going back to using mineral oil and only using the other stuff for climbers saws and when working near or over water?

What does everybody else use?

Hi have you seen this http://www.oregonchain.be/arborol/video/video.htm if anyone wants a free sample it can be organised. Don't knock it before you try it, and the good news is a 5lt can makes 25lt's as it's mixed with 1:4 parts water.

Also there have been some studies of the effects of chain oil on protective trousers see the link below.

http://www.lib.unb.ca/Texts/JFE/bin/get5.cgi?directory=January99/&filename=sullman.html

• 1 year later...
I was quoted £53.00 for a 20L drum of the stihl bio oil last week...

So I promptly went and got a 25L drum of the Oregon Super Saw Chain Oil for £32!

The bio oils are good for the environment, yes. But not good for the operator.

As the bio oils are made from plants and veg oils, they actually contain some pretty harmful stuff.

As far as I am aware you could pretty much drink the normal mineral oil and it wouldnt do you any harm at all.

would you cook your chips in mineral oil

plant oil is the way forward

Sunflower is the cheapest £1.25/litre

i used Straight veg oil from supermarkets for two years without too much trouble. Im a carver and use saws from ms660 down to 27cc echo. No problem with over heating carving bars either. only problems that ive had that could be linked with using veg oil are. ms200 overheated poss due to gunk oil buildup on cooling fins. Echo cs270wes oil pump worm gear worn out.

I made quite a saving over the years using veg oil so not so bothered about the odd oil pump replacement. I now use mineral oil on small horizontal stroke saws as they are a bitch to keep fins clean. I cant see any harm in using veg oil in mid- large saws. Just blow off saws after use and if keep for weeks unused then flush out system before storing.

• 1 year later...