softwood?

frets1

Just wondered if there was a good market for softwood?

Doing logs for the first time as to wet to climb and have wood coming in.

Have got a contract to fell 10 big Scots pine.Will come down in rings.

Would normally leave on site but wondered,as going home everyday anyway, would it be worth logging and selling?

Do people only want hardwood?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.:confused1:

What price could i expect from a pick up load (mine is 1.3 m3)

Thanks

All wood is marketable in my opinion,the price depends on the amount of work you want to put into it.

You could sell it cheap on your way home in rings[handled only once]

or you could take home,split store,season,reload,deliver[handled up to 6 times]for a premium.

I like the first option if you can find a customer.As you probably know, the sound of a saw usually brings out a potential bargain hunting wood burner.

All wood is marketable in my opinion,the price depends on the amount of work you want to put into it.

You could sell it cheap on your way home in rings[handled only once]

or you could take home,split store,season,reload,deliver[handled up to 6 times]for a premium.

I like the first option if you can find a customer.As you probably know, the sound of a saw usually brings out a potential bargain hunting wood burner.

Thanks, good idea. :thumbup1:

Southern markets may be different to north, but I sell more softwood( in the north )than hardwood nowadays,

it is quicker to season and easier to work with. It is best used on woodburners of which there seems to be an ever growing number!

I have had customers that dont know the difference between hard and soft, its all wood !!.

I have sold a fair bit of soft in the last 2 years. As the current delivered cord cost is only about 25% cheaper than hard £42 vs £55 a ton roughly it seems to make more sense to me to do hard as it takes the same amount of work to process it and it sells at a premium price. Margin is the same percentage wise, I just make a few more quid. Its the haulage in that tends to kill it, just cant find soft local and even if I did there are no local timber hauliers. Maybe I need to buy a timber trailer and work with a local haulier but costs of running one for maybe 10 days work a year + some contracts would be high, just ask Nick.

A

Seem to have fussy customers down here and they all want hardwood. Had 4 crates of soft last year and 70 of hard I was selling the soft for £20 less. I could not move the soft for love nor money until all the hard was sold then they would take anything that was dry and it was gone :lol:

As Alycidon says it's the same amount of work and the same amount of fuel to deliver so you have got to get it a lot cheaper than hard to make it worthwhile IMHO