Learning to switch off

When im too busy my ears seam to stop hearing the phone as much, works a treat :biggrin:

Stress is a self inflicted symptom of trying to gain to much to fast ! Learn to slow down and stop being greedy.

Any way im off to do legs at the gym they suck but it is my meditation and big arms little legs is just a hell noooo.

I did a few 7 day weeks climbing and i was one miserable little bitch never again unless im being whipped by a slave master :laugh1:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any of got and hints to switching off from work. I've been lucky in one way that I've always been busy but the girlfriend is complaining now that its been too many 7 days a week and now it's light in evenings working those to.

On the evenings I do have off I end up writing up quotes and putting in applications.

Then if there's spare time just before bed I have to look on hear to see what's accruing.

I got away last weekend for a wedding and the whole time my brain is just thinking about next's weeks work and what to do when I'm back.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Colwood - Home

Sorry, 'late to the party' as usual.

On a recent flight to Newcastle the 'in-flight' magazine had an article about this very topic, i.e. work / life balance, or at least related.

In that she presented 2 key words, 'boundaries' and 'self'. The boundaries thing, i.e. leave work at work, is increasingly difficult and virtually impossible when 'self-employed' but at least if you're aware of it then maybe you can do stuff to help like stick the office, and phone, in a sun-house at the bottom of the garden.

The 'self' thing is exactly that, you must do stuff for yourself and don't feel guilty. I guess if that stuff can include your partner, and poss. family, then it's win, win, but it's still very important anyway.

So, do I have the w/b right :thumbdown:, so "do as I say and not as I do" :thumbup1:

REMEMBER, stress turns to strain which is irreversible (and poss. heart attack / divorce territory)...someone once said!

Cheers n take care..

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
I left school at 16 and am now in my 20th year of being self employed, Ive done the long hours week in week out, I used to be proud of doing 100 hours a week aswell as always punching above my weight but Im paying for it now.

Worry has become my worst enermy and for the last few months I've been feeling ruff to the point now where I have had a heart monitor fitted for the last 24 hours to try and work out why I get chest pains and a random heart beats, and all at 36 :thumbdown: do the sums and work out wheather your health is worth the extra days wage.

Reading your post was like you explaining my life and my symptoms, I was really worried a few weeks ago with chest pains etc, I was trying to do 3 people's jobs in one and let everything build up. It sometimes takes a scare to make you realise your doing too much, and it certainly did with me, Silky Fox has taken a lot if the load now and things are running smoother than ever. I still really need to stop doing 12 hour days 6 days a week, but its the old scenario of getting another climber in to do the work that I love, so I can spend more time in the office and doing quotes, the part I don't love. I do enjoy the managerial side but would I choose it over climbing....? No way, not ever!

So what do we do? Head down and get on with it, same as usual, winter is just round the corner so things will ease off a little then.

As far as switching off is concerned, the only way I have found is in the gym and for that hour I don't think about work at all, it is amazing like someone switches work off and when I leave the gym the switch is back on,,, I just wish I had time to go to the gym.......GRRRRRRRRR!

Sent using my carrier pigeon

I was told by the doc not to worry about the palpitations and a few days later I slipped and smashed my chest which seems to have cured the random heart beat lol.

A short break abroad also helped put things in perspective, so booked 10 days in Thailand to gain a little more:D.

I guess were all different and the trick is finding what works best for you.

I was told by the doc not to worry about the palpitations and a few days later I slipped and smashed my chest which seems to have cured the random heart beat lol.

A short break abroad also helped put things in perspective, so booked 10 days in Thailand to gain a little more:D.

I guess were all different and the trick is finding what works best for you.

From what I saw at the show you don't stop mate. :lol::lol:

I switch off and forget EVERYTHING. not just work but everything when I go to the lifeboat. Being on call out is a bit different as its all about the job, but even when I'm training or just down there for something or other. The switch is in the off position. And that's what I love.

They all ask me about machines and trees etc, but I can't answer them as my brain won't switch on, so I just tell them to call me another day. That's my pure down time.

When you regularly do 10-12 hour days a week you start programming yourself to work.... you may be knackered but you would rather keep working than take some time out - it's the road to being a workaholic.

I don't tend to answer my phone or even take it with me after 6pm, don't have my phone set to pick up e-mails anymore - (as soon as I see that little sign in the inbox I can't not look in there :blushing: )have rented an office rather than work from home. No longer return calls at the weekend. Turn the computer off so you're not jumping up everytime that little 'beep' goes to say another e-mail has come in.

Force work back into work time.

:001_smile:

When you regularly do 10-12 hour days a week you start programming yourself to work.... you may be knackered but you would rather keep working than take some time out - it's the road to being a workaholic.

I don't tend to answer my phone or even take it with me after 6pm, don't have my phone set to pick up e-mails anymore - (as soon as I see that little sign in the inbox I can't not look in there :blushing: )have rented an office rather than work from home. No longer return calls at the weekend. Turn the computer off so you're not jumping up everytime that little 'beep' goes to say another e-mail has come in.

Force work back into work time.

:001_smile:

Really pleased that it's going so well for you Rob and that your managing to keep a life away from work.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App