Rethink required, billet bundles are too heavy

difflock

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yo difflock, you mirror my thoughts exactly. I am in the billet world, and most of us wonder why. For me it's because I have plenty of tree covered mud but no barns, breeze or security of any type. So have to stick with billets.

If you find answers to the marking for cutting I would love to hear it. Have tried guessing (wasteful) attachment on chainsaw (clumsy) a stick (backache retrieving it all the time) 2nd person with stick (great but expensive) and forest tapemeasure. The fastest output was 2 people sharing the stick and saw with me on grab laying logs down and piling up for splitting after. Could get 25 tons sawn in the morning and then swap to splitting. Cheers, John.

Glad I am not the only one!!

That made me chuckle Logan, I have tried all that as well. measuring sticks that always went missing, countless bending, sore back. For now Im just stuck with simple estimation. I count up in short of 10inch steps along the stem with the bar, at count four I cut. Works well when Im fresh, after 200 cuts though :thumbdown::lol: There are always a few buggers that need toppign when it gets to the splitter. We'll leave this in the capable hands of Marcus to fix.

And again:thumbup::thumbup:

Visions of Lazers etc, milling about in my heid!

Measuring wheel with in-built spray can, save bending the back?

RSM's Pace stick with att. squirty can, but really need a can on each leg?

Or a spring loaded tape att to the RHS of the saw.

The key issue is getting the logs to waist height to cut and handle.

And if getting to waist height anyway. might as well measure at this height.

And if putting up on some sort of a rack, simply position the end against a stop-end or mark and cut to other preset markers,

i.e. NO measuring required.

You have the mechanical arm and grapple. A simple rack (and deck combo?) will probably serve your needs, short of fabricating/buying your own 1m capacity billet processor.

Is it easy to balance a pole in mid air from the grab, for cutting to length? and having some sort of sliding ruler/marker stick that could be quickly mounted and dismounted from the grapples. I know you like to cut out bendy bits as well, which might upset fixed marker units.

Since I am currently absolutly constrained by suitable weather to get timber down from the Moss (over an unpaved Rodding) I require to stockpile the logs at the Yard given any suitable opportunity.

This requires to take precedence over other work.

So I will always be having a pile of logs to work from.

So as you suggest I can load a rack with the crane, then proceed.

Ideally need hyd driven feeders to spin the logs down against a fixed stop, stand in one position and snick off a 1.0m length at a time, discarding the worstest knotty bits for later att.

NOT happy about cutting below the crane, knowing the vintage and condition of the hydraulics.

cheers

m

Edited by difflock

Since I am currently absolutly constrained by suitable weather to get timber down from the Moss (over an unpaved Rodding) I require to stockpile the logs at the Yard given any suitable opportunity.

This requires to take precedence over other work.

So I will always be having a pile of logs to work from.

So as you suggest I can load a rack with the crane, then proceed.

Ideally need hyd driven feeders to spin the logs down against a fixed stop, stand in one position and snick off a 1.0m length at a time, discarding the worstest knotty bits for later att.

NOT happy about cutting below the crane, knowing the vintage and condition of the hydraulics.

cheers

m

I thought you had solved that problem with your crawler. Maybe cut and stack in billet lengths in the wood then attach crane to crawler with outriggers front and back to collect billet lengths when required.

I thought you had solved that problem with your crawler. Maybe cut and stack in billet lengths in the wood then attach crane to crawler with outriggers front and back to collect billet lengths when required.

RNJ

(i) Crawler only suitable for winching for extraction to a landing, not suitable for the turns on the Rodden. And too far anyway.

(ii) I have, however, toyed with the idea of moving the billiting operation to the Moss, then extracting the billet bundles on the DB1490, both front and rear 3PT linkages being used,

Say bring 2 or 3 on the front(=500kg/750kg) and 3 or 4 (750 to 100kg) on the back.

As I find it remarkedly slow loading the log trailer (cos sticks rarely straight)

But need to figger a loading/racking set-up for the 3pt linkages that is not too heavy or cumbersome.

WW

Answer=No

a simple trailer is the one bit of kit I lack:lol:

Hmmm, he therefore thinks?

thanks for the interest and suggestions

A plan is coming together;

(i) To fabricate a billet bundler out of steel, and bolted to the side of the Krpan splitter.

(ii) Using the 17tonne Splitter hydraulic ram stroke to pretension the billet bundle with a wire rope, prior to Polystrapping.

(iii) Incorporating a crane jib (using the 1.0tonne splitter winch) to lift and swing the billet bundles away onto my front and rear tractor mounted racks.(Which racks being tractor mounted can be positioned exactly right.)

(iv) Transport to the Yard and unload using the Parked-up log trailer and crane into tidy rows.

Should keep me occupied of a few winters evenings.

Marcus