self employed + business names

Thanks everyone that's cleared things up a lot now i can start thinking about names and branding.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Tbh Gordon. If you start "branding" yourself when you're intending to be a freelancer, you could give your potential clients the wrong impression.

I.e. if you have a company name/brand/logo/signwritten truck, they may view you as competition, and be reluctant to use you.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tbh Gordon. If you start "branding" yourself when you're intending to be a freelancer, you could give your potential clients the wrong impression.

I.e. if you have a company name/brand/logo/signwritten truck, they may view you as competition, and be reluctant to use you.

I'd agree with that.

The other thing is that, as exciting as it will be for you at the mo, there's other things you could be focusing your energy on. Surely it matters not whether it's your own name at the top of an invoice or your company's?

branded clothing etc is all well and good in the right place but all costs money that needs making back.

As a freelancer, you might even find you're given branded clothing of the company you're working for that day.

I'd agree with that.

The other thing is that, as exciting as it will be for you at the mo, there's other things you could be focusing your energy on. Surely it matters not whether it's your own name at the top of an invoice or your company's?

branded clothing etc is all well and good in the right place but all costs money that needs making back.

As a freelancer, you might even find you're given branded clothing of the company you're working for that day.

I like it when that happens, as long as its clean and fits:laugh1:

I'm self employed sole trader, I trade as JP Horticulture. Full uniform and sign written van, and I still sub as climber to other people?

I make them aware my van is sign written before I turn up on site, and just ware my old Stihl climbing t-shirt if working for someone else :thumbup:

On the other hand, everyone who works with us is provided with a company polo shirt, even if just for the day!

I'm a strong believer that when it come to the public and getting work, image is everything style is nothing.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1369685716.788702.jpg.8a11a71c8499f5cc332e23975fa2d05b.jpg

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Each to their own, but I wouldnt ever employ a self employed worker who had a sign written van. Sub contracted tree company maybe, but only maybe, depending on where they are working and who for, but nay indivisual working for me leaves there vehicle in my yard and does not wear their own branded clothing.

To the OP, the trading as thing is only relevant to the classification of you your business, you dont need to write TA on the vehicles etc. You can be whatever you want but the tax etc is owed by Gordon Rochdale not the company, i.e you are trading AS XYZ, but you are not XYZ and XYZ is not liable for the tax ( or any risk liabilties for that matter, so insurance etc is given to Gordon rochdale not XYZ)

My advice would be to stay as you are, you certainly dont want a name like freelance tree care, how would that look to private customers. Just be you until your own clients outnumber you freelance work and then bring in a trading as name, or give out cards etc with a trading name of you want but you would still be GR, so any inovioces to other companies or private would still be paid to GR but the private ones could have a compnay name on if you wanted.

But freelance tree care is not a company name, or a sole trader name, or a tading as name, its just a description of what you do.

And re reading your posts, I see your a self emplyed groundsman, a bit early for company names etc just yet, let time work it out for you, you will see which direction you are heading.

Edited by Rupe

Whats a freelancer meant to drive around in? Alot of subbies have there own buisness and sub out to fill up free days. In some cases i know i few guys that get work because they can provide a tipper aswell as themselves? If you do get a signwritten truck maybe just cover up your name when working for others.

It does go without saying you would not employ somone again if they rocked up on site dressed head to toe in there own uniform aha. In my experience you usually get given an old or somtimes new company shirt anyways!

Not sure if this helps tho sorry

Ollie