Exhaust fumes

How big is the saw tank? .5ltr. If not less.

Sadly not. Big saws - 0.9l tanks on most of mine.

How much milling on one tank?

About 20mins, which with a good set-up should open up around 30-50sq.ft of surface area, depending on species, how long it's been down etc.

When you think about it 17.50 isn't that much for 5 ltr.

Plus as its been said how long are you milling for.. So how much are you breathing in. Even without the benzene in fuels the rest of the fumes are not good for you. May as well smoke 30 a day.

A good tuned aspen running saw will be a lot better for anyone. And you don't go home stinking of petrol.

This is my thinking too. I reckon I get through about 10l in an average full day's chainsaw milling. That's about 6ml of benzene alone that's in the atmosphere with standard fuel. I won't breath all that in, but it will end up somewhere.

By my reckoning, standard petrol plus good 2-stroke oil is about £15 for 10l. Aspen will cost me about £35 for the same. This is not significant relative to the value of timber milled in the day if it's my own, or can be accounted for in the day-rate, or is even worth it just for the extra hour or two when I get home and am able to carry on and unload and put away tools/wood etc, rather than lying around feeling ill. This is irrespective of any long-term effects.

Alec

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mill with Aspen - yes it is expensive, no point in debating that well worn path - but I don't notice the fumes (and also I use their chain oil cause the fumes from normal mineral oil are no good for you either!).

No headaches and no side effects now. :biggrin:

So, if I change to Aspen do I have to clean the tank before changing from standard petrol+2 stroke?

I never have when switching any of my saws over. Just make sure it's empty.

I changed to Aspen when I started milling, seemingly for the same reasons as everyone else. Headaches, dizzyness after spending the day on the Alaskan. Now I don't suffer any problems after milling.

I also now run it in nearly all of my saws.

My previous and current 090 use(d) Aspen. If you've just put a new carb kit on, expect no problems - might need a slight tweak for optimum tuning but I tend to set the top end revs a bit low anyway and I've had no trouble with idling.

Some of the components in modern petrol cause the rubber to swell. Once you switch to Aspen the rubber can 'dry out' and become stiff, in which case the diaphragm may not work so well and you may get air leaks. I haven't had this though. If it happens, stick a carb kit on and carry on. It won't do it again as the Aspen won't swell it.

No need to clean out tanks (it's not like using bio-oil) - just stick Aspen in at the end of a tankful and go from there. You may notice that after a few tankfuls the exhaust becomes very clear of visible fume, this is normal and a GOOD THING!

Alec

What he said. Aspen will be a LOT better for you with or without a nose bleed problem.

Are you sure its exhaust fumes and not the dust going up that is causing an issue?

I used to clean grain stores out a lot and found that without a mask I would get bleeds very often even when I was finishing and walking out the stores when I thought I was clear of the dust. Turned out the dust would act like sand paper against the inside blood vessels and rupture them.

I changed masks from the paper things to a proper one with canisters, would wear it until I was definatly clear.

+2 late father in law was in grain driers and wore the rubber masks with double filters on to stop it getting through

It's a 3M rubber sealed gas/vapour mask.

No Alec, I'm not using Aspen - what is it?

Had blood test etc, it's petrol fumes causing the problem

Hi ring me on Tuesday 07568108953, email [email protected] or PM me. I am the aspen rep with over 20 years in the garden machinery trade and I will answer your questions. If aspen helps "which I am sure it will" I would like to meet you to hear how it is better for you. Eddie

Back to original thread, 'Is wood dust safe to breath?', that is a good question...anyone know any research etc?

A similar thought (should you wear a mask to move wood chip): I had a client a few weeks a ago who had to be taken in an ambulance to hospital,ended up in intensive care after breathing spores from woodchip mulch that had been left in a heap for a couple of weeks. she was moving it to top up woodland paths in her garden and ended up with serious fungal infection on her lungs, still very ill several months later. Chip was from healthy Lime trees.