How many hours do you chaps do.??

jnoon

Yes i know what your saying , but most jobs are à days work , so just dont see the point getting set up making à mess for a few hours, and Still have to go back the next day to finish it, most clients like you to start and finish the same day ,unless its à bigger job.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to live that life for way too many years. I'm lucky to have changed things now. I get on site for 8 in my car and we're usually done by 3. Don't have to drive the truck anymore which saves me about 90 mins a day. Only work saturdays if we really have to. Don't do any quotes. Don't take or make any calls. My only job is to climb and make sure the phone keeps ringing. You need great guys to help you and I am most grateful!

I work as many hours as I need to but as little as I can get away with on the whole.

Like today, it's blowing a proper hooler and chucking it down - too windy to sensibly go and do what we were meant to be or the felling we've been on with the rest of the week so am milling round at home, bit of housework, going to pop into town shortly and then crack on fixing bike a bit later.

I'm not panicking that we've lost a day as I've not put myself in a position where I have to.

Several years ago I'd have been out on a day like today trying to battle on with something but that was because I had to - would think nothing of setting off for 3:30am to go forwarding til 8/9pm, drive home and do it all again for a few weeks at a time - stuff that now :lol:

I see no harm in enjoying your job (otherwise why do it) but if it has to become your hobby as well to make it pay then maybe something's not running quite as it should be.

Lots of different ways of looking at this. My kindling is more pottering than graft, baking bread as one of my helpers has pointed out. Not so much need to as enjoy it. I paid my mortgage off in 13 years so can now work as much or little as I need. My plan was always to sprint for 25 years and plod for the last twenty where as a lot of people slog away for 45 years with nothing to show for it. If you work hard for 20 years and make your self ill well who,s to say you would not have got ill dossing about, with some assets behind you can recover with some piece of mind. Everyone is different you have to find your own pace no sense being miserable there are no dress rehearsals in life.

I used to do 40 hrs a week on buildings, plus the travel. Then i was always working at night doing my own jobs, pricing up etc and same on a weekend. But then i was fortunate to get a job with the local nhs. 37.5 hrs per week. Ok the money is poor and its not a permanent contract. But it has given me a lot better work / life balance and i feel better for it. As for my own work, i do it if i want to and thats it. I prefer spending time with the family or on the allotment now. I hoping to get a better contract sorted out shortly.

I used to live that life for way too many years. I'm lucky to have changed things now. I get on site for 8 in my car and we're usually done by 3. Don't have to drive the truck anymore which saves me about 90 mins a day. Only work saturdays if we really have to. Don't do any quotes. Don't take or make any calls. My only job is to climb and make sure the phone keeps ringing. You need great guys to help you and I am most grateful!

So basically you are a contract climber to your own firm and your hobby is marketing.

I like it!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Earlier day today, weather been crap so been catching up with firewood at the yard and also forgot I'm playing taxi's for the other half tonight so had to be back earlier, few years ago I had got myself to the point where I could comfortably work 4 days a week which gave me a day midweek for pricing and maintenance, maybe do some firewood deliveries on a saturday and all would be good, then last 2-3 years works been very up and down due to various circumstances so now if theres work there I'm taking it which meant earlier this year I did 7 days a week for 7 weeks on the bounce, but I've always been one for doing, can't sit about for long I get fidgety :laugh1:

Wonder what percentage of accidents happen due to over tiredness from working long hrs?

Don't like using a chainsaw if im really knackered.....

Bulls eye!!!

There was an article in one of the Arb mags a few years back -

It's title was 'Dont make your last cut your last cut'

I can't recall the exact figures but the massive majority of mis-haps occur in the last hour. Getting tired, maybe someone has started putting the kit away, customer asks for one more thing so you improvise rather than get the proper kit out, maybe work off the ladder etc.etc. then BANG!

I'm sure the HSE produced some scary stats on it.

The problem is, whenever you stop work there must be a LAST hour.

It just depends how knackered you are for that last hour???

We've all gotta get the job done but remember theres more jobs to do tomorrow as well - not to mention wife and kids waiting at home.

Don't make them wait too long!

Be safe out there.