How many hours do you chaps do.??

jnoon

I really have no idea, am I working whilst mucking around in the barn with the machines?

Sitting in the van on arbtalk? Or Like others have said, quoting? Tbh not very many real hours.

On a related topic I am re roofing the barn ATM, there is always something to do then, no hanging around in a tree waiting for the groundy to untie the rope or standing in front of the chipper, very different work and very hard. (That's just compared to climbing btw)

Plus there's no job and knock, just keep going hour after hour.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work 40 hrs a week on the generators and often potter about for another 40 hrs with my kindling business. The kindling is more of a hobby business which I enjoy. I can work with the weather as some can be done in doors so rarely get rained off. We work long hours but have at least 2 months on holiday every year. If I fly out to ( hostile areas ) to sort out generators I have worked 20 hrs with 4 hrs sleep for weeks at a time. I stay healthy on fruit and veg then and lots of it.

This thread really highlights one of the biggest problems in the industry today. If you can't make enough averaging 40 hours a week over the year then why not get a proper job?

Bet you won't find many other trades working obscene hours for a pittance, fair enough if your working 80 hours a week and paying yourself £75k a year, or just doing it to get a new business off the ground, but I get the feeling that most of us are doing this week in week out for years on end. Working long hours is habit forming, and ultimately will make you ill or dead.

Peter is bang on the money with his statement. I used to do 6.5days a week, lots of hours a day, loved the work and the pressure and missed it when it was quiet. The stress and strain gets you in the end. I'm now doing around 3 days a week, to earn just enough to keep fed and watered. I still enjoy the work, but a hard day is now out of the question for the foreseeable future.

Enjoy the work while you're young enough to graft, build up a nest egg for when you can't. Good luck for your future. :001_smile:

I work as many hours as I need to but as little as I can get away with on the whole.

Like today, it's blowing a proper hooler and chucking it down - too windy to sensibly go and do what we were meant to be or the felling we've been on with the rest of the week so am milling round at home, bit of housework, going to pop into town shortly and then crack on fixing bike a bit later.

I'm not panicking that we've lost a day as I've not put myself in a position where I have to.

Several years ago I'd have been out on a day like today trying to battle on with something but that was because I had to - would think nothing of setting off for 3:30am to go forwarding til 8/9pm, drive home and do it all again for a few weeks at a time - stuff that now :lol:

I see no harm in enjoying your job (otherwise why do it) but if it has to become your hobby as well to make it pay then maybe something's not running quite as it should be.

Works steady at the moment, so its job and knock. Dont see the point of finishing à job at 2 or 3 pm say , and starting another. At least this way Were out 5 days a week and people see you out there.

Sounds like it works for you, but why not fit what you can in to less days and enjoy some more time off? Surely it would be more cost effective too?