How to crash an industry

Pete Mctree

The trouble with these sorts of things is that there is supposed to be this industry consultation proscess, but nobody either bothers to add their thoughts or is too afraid of the ramifications to do so, to speak frakly and truthfully. so the consultation just reflects so little negative views as the majority whop DO reply and consult have a vested interest (profit) to be made. Of course the thing will be biassed and be in favour of the assesors etc, thats YOUR own faults for NOT having the balls and attitude required to actualy get off your arses at the time and do something about it before it happened.

oh but then it doesnt seem to bother most of you cos you just dont take any notice! so its just down to all the big employers to toee the line while you all laugh at the expense.

my boss paid 3k two yer ago for the four of us toi "refresh" I could have had PTI or LOLER instead!

it stinks!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go on then, if you can do it without using over worked clichés

Cliche. Aah you must mean NPTC/HSE lol

A cliché or cliche (pronounced UK: /ˈkliːʃeɪ/, US: /klɪˈʃeɪ/) is an expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has been overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect, rendering it a stereotype, especially when at some earlier time it was considered meaningful or novel

I knew these stubs of mine were hitting squares of plastic for a reason :001_tongue:

Oh dear. Anyway......Off the top of my head.........Darwin should win, he's wasn't in it for he money. World population is a burning issue.

But really. What will change because of this and what has changed because of it so far? I see improvement in equipment and techniques being driven by foresters, arborists, science and reason. Not HSE.

Those organisations only stifle progress for companies and the individual.

I'm not opposed to being assessed for competency with a chainsaw. But, I'm an adult thanks very much, perfectly capable of taking responsibility for my actions. However dire the consequences are.

in the famous words of bills hicks ...we just lost a moron lets celevrate, i just felt the world get lighter!

seriously before anyone moans, there are cases where some people, who dont work in arb full time, i recall a story about a bloke who worked for the environmental agency had a climbing ticket and saw tickets, hadn't climbed in two years, his boss said, you can fix that willow get your old and unchecked kit on and low and behold bad things happened to him. I recall with the IPAF you get a booklet, keep a record of your MEWP usage and if you have done enough hours you dont need a refresher. I think companies should do in house refreshing, keep a log of these sessions, If some one isnt deemed up to scratch then the company should note this and then send that person or persons on a outside refresher course. I agree areial rescue should be practised at least once every 6 months, Maybe one solution would be once every six months an outside assessor comes in you pay£40 a person minimum of two do a rescue scenario and then the assessor can decided weather or not you should go on a course, at the catch is that assessor isnt allowed to have anything to do with your refresher afterwards to prevent any bias in his decision..... as for felling.... how many people have to refresh their driving licence eh? people die in cars every year, plenty of people with bad habits, and many who should have their licence ripped up. but asny whoo i think an initial assement prior to a refresher is a workable, and more affordable option. we cant raise prices to cover such an expense, as there is a) lots of competition from other firms, and b) we have to deal with the gypo, have a go hero bloke with a chainsaw down the pub element. Why isnt the industry licensed properly? i'd pay a hundred quid to send in copies of my basic certs, inurance to have a thing saying i was approved by the government to carry out tree work...but thats for a different thread.......

to be perfectly honest it does not take alot to make sure you satisfy the refresher criteria , yes it is a load or red tape but it is well worth it , things do change - for instance i did not know the chainsaw gloves were not compulsory any more , this may not be of any real importance but there have been changes and there needs to be a record kept to ensure that workers in the industry are keeping up to date . Most of us have something to say when we see poor or sub standard wor carried out by people that dont know any better - this maybe because of changes in Arb since they trained many years ago , most of us would see this as a poor excuse and that is exactly what the HSE would see should they have to investigate an accident where the cause of the accident was a worker who had not been on any refresher and had lost touch with modern safer advances in the industry .