How to crash an industry

Pete Mctree

the trainers if they are registered and most are not have to attend regular update with technical standard verifiers as nptc assessors they have to be re verified bi annually in each group they assess the verifiers job is to keep up with latest minute industry details and pass this onto assessors

i can only speak for myself but i am still on the tools and have been so for 20 years

i take a lot of pride in my training and have a lot of repeat custom from it

it is nothing to do with trainers/assessors to (force it on the industry) to line our pockets

this legislation witch by the way doesnt exist yet for the cs units comes through afag and the hse as a reaction to the high number of "accidendts" each year

whilst i partially agree with the point of view that reassessment/refresher is in some case overkill you have to remember there are guys out there who cant rescue when needed and as for there chainsaw use its frightening

councils and reputable companys have ben refreshing their staff for years now with no fuss

terry registered instructor assessor

your opinion is biassed and inherently flawed due to that fact!:lol: you must LOVE this!:thumbdown:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People need to be trained it is possible to do this without ripping them off. Quality training is more useful from an experienced instructor than certificates and medals. Refresher courses are worthwhile I have never been on a course I did not learn something but at the same time 10 blokes on a 4 hr course £30 ea is enough.

This is so relevant

As an employer I understand the need for training but come on trainers- give us a chance- Too many courses where it's easy to work out that the training company is getting too much money for the service they provide. Make it a more sensible price and we will all applaud the idea.

This is so relevant

As an employer I understand the need for training but come on trainers- give us a chance- Too many courses where it's easy to work out that the training company is getting too much money for the service they provide. Make it a more sensible price and we will all applaud the idea.

I often think meeting half way is the only right thing to do on all these legalities and "advisories" on this matter, no half way, this is the most condescending and an outright scam for jobs i think the only cause of action is total ignoring of this "reccomendation".

THEY are taking the mickey out of ALL of us with this one:thumbdown:

accidents being used as justification, I would like to see the stats on the age of those involved in these accidents and the period they have worked in the industry, and the age of the supervisor too.

would be revealing to say the least.

I often think meeting half way is the only right thing to do on all these legalities and "advisories" on this matter, no half way, this is the most condescending and an outright scam for jobs i think the only cause of action is total ignoring of this "reccomendation".

THEY are taking the mickey out of ALL of us with this one:thumbdown:

accidents being used as justification, I would like to see the stats on the age of those involved in these accidents and the period they have worked in the industry, and the age of the supervisor too.

would be revealing to say the least.

And how many accidents involved people that had been trained. How many accidents with people having 20 years experience. How many accidents were domestic weekend jobs, do they slit these away from work related stats. The whole certification training thing is just another cash cow for the government in alot of cases.

your opinion is biassed and inherently flawed due to that fact!:lol: you must LOVE this!:thumbdown:

what a load of crap you have to ask about the motivation of anyone who is so opposed to training and updating in an industry so full of injury and accidents

everyone starts at basic training and learns their trade over many years on the tools

most people continue with an open mind to learning new techniques and methods witch continue to improve arboriculture

some think they have reached the pinnacle of arboriculture when they have a lot to learn

and as i said its nothing whatsoever to do with cs units or instructor choice

it is due to continued accidents and incidents in arboriculture

their are those who post on this forum in training/education who have nothing whatsoever to do with training

CAREFULL WHO YOU TAKE ADVICE FROM

terry

Maybe if there were less accidents in the Arb/forestry sector we wouldnt need so much refreshing. Many accidents occur across the board, age is irrelevant, experience is irrelevant. Examples shown in http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg278.pdf show that LA personnel (who we'd assume would have refreshers coming out of their backsides) make mistakes, self-employed workers make mistakes, foresters etc etc. it really makes no difference who you are. So when people like Hama come here on one of their missions to save us from ourselves, just bear in mind that that one tit-bit of information shared on a refresher could maybe save your life.

Edited by Andy Collins

Firstly , could they fit everybody in for retest with in 12 months NO. If all the law abiding operators stop until tested then the gypsies with out V.E.L. driving licence, tacho,NPTC etc will be filling up more farm gateways . I think our new colour of government advocated less red tape .( recently cut school trip risk assessment )to get elected .On a more cynical note NPTC is a self funding organisation and if they expand at no cost to govermemnt and reemploy out of work civil servants thats a good un when you're looking for re-election in four years time.

Firstly , could they fit everybody in for retest with in 12 months NO. If all the law abiding operators stop until tested then the gypsies with out V.E.L. driving licence, tacho,NPTC etc will be filling up more farm gateways . I think our new colour of government advocated less red tape .( recently cut school trip risk assessment )to get elected .On a more cynical note NPTC is a self funding organisation and if they expand at no cost to govermemnt and reemploy out of work civil servants thats a good un when you're looking for re-election in four years time.

It's refresher training, no test, no pass no fail, just training