Anyone done a glass topped table?

Woodworks

Got a job where the client want's a glass top on a sideboard so it will be glass directly over the wooden top. My concerns are that dust and dirt will get in between the glass and the wood. I have not combined wood and glass before so any advise welcome. The up side is I maybe could use wood that has faults that I would not normally use for a top.

Had a customer once who had oak table with rosewood inlay, wanted glass fitting to top, fitted oak bead round edge to contain glass and refinished table. Think slack bladder is right. Expensive and heavy. If thats what the customer wants then that's what they get. Look for a small glass wholesaler near you, not your local glazing shop. Wouldn't be. Concerned with dust etc. But do have to make sure top is cock on flat. In sure that's no problem for a man of your calibre.

James

Had a customer once who had oak table with rosewood inlay, wanted glass fitting to top, fitted oak bead round edge to contain glass and refinished table. Think slack bladder is right. Expensive and heavy. If thats what the customer wants then that's what they get. Look for a small glass wholesaler near you, not your local glazing shop. Wouldn't be. Concerned with dust etc. But do have to make sure top is cock on flat. In sure that's no problem for a man of your calibre.

James

Was the glass literally sitting on the wood or did you have some form of spacer? I had thought of using the small stick on clear pads that you can use for kitchen door stops.

No the glass was flat on the wood, anything you try to space it with will appear as a blemish and detract from the finish. Make sure when you get the glass made that you explain that it has to be exact size as most glass cutters work to +/- 3mm.

Thanks mate.

Ye had trouble with glass cutters before and their inability to cut to size +/- 3mm :laugh1: when I did my training we had to make test joints with all dimensions to 1/10 mm and there was no hiding from the vernier gauge of the teacher.

I like the look with a mixture of wood, glass and metal. Done a fair bit with single slab table tops with natural defects which I put a piece of decorative glass engraved with a leaf onto the glass over it.

Always got a buzz when milling and came across a slab with a natural hole.I knew I would be able to charge more for the table.:laugh1:

597664aee4d98_Picture087.jpg.51f61aad6e0ee43b0ee6c34fd66a2131.jpg

597664aee34f3_Picture035.jpg.94428e1df91b64852b0bf812387db867.jpg

597664aee1694_Picture036.jpg.4403acd19c3b49e61591af178a0626fc.jpg