Anyone done a glass topped table?

Woodworks

"Wow, as a builder i didnt realise mm had 10ths"

Not saying it is much fun working to those tolerances but can do it when I have to. You would be surprised how thin a plane shaving is. What looks like a nice shaving is often only 1/20 mm.

That's lovely Robert.

The glass and dovetail keys on the crack look really good.

On the bottom table can I see the sort of pads I was talking about on top of the legs supporting the glass?

Cheers,

I got the sticky back pads things from BQ. They are clear so they dont really stand out too much on the table. I think they are for sticking onto the older style kitchen unit doors to stop them banging shut.

Robert do you have any links for who has cut your glass

Matty,

I used a few local, to me glass suppliers. None of them any special just run of the mill glaziers or glass suppliers. I cut a template and take it to them and they cut it to the size and shape, then they send it for toughing.

I normally dont work to tight sizes so if the table top or inlaid piece is slightly over it dosnt matter.

I have a 1930s dressing table, given to my grandparents as a wedding present. It's highly figured oak, with a glass top directly over the wood - sensible move on dressing tables as originally used with a washbasin on them.

The glass is loose, resting on the top, and it does slide a bit, but the wood is still perfect underneath and the glass is perfect on top with no scratches or chips. Probably not toughened either.

Alec

I quite fancy some glass for some oak stumps i have as coffe tables, would like to find a source for some.

My mate found it was cheaper to buy a coffee table from Ikea and throw all but the glass away.

We had a chap come into our softwood thinnings in the 70s just to pry out old oak stumps from when it was broadleaved woodland. He'd sandblast them, turn them upside down and put glass resting on the buttress bottoms.

I have a 1930s dressing table, given to my grandparents as a wedding present. It's highly figured oak, with a glass top directly over the wood - sensible move on dressing tables as originally used with a washbasin on them.

The glass is loose, resting on the top, and it does slide a bit, but the wood is still perfect underneath and the glass is perfect on top with no scratches or chips. Probably not toughened either.

Alec

Thanks Alec

Very helpful :thumbup:

Thought some pics might help, although they barely do the quality of the timber justice. It's survived through children, grandchildren and now my own children. It lived in a very damp room for 50+yrs and I carefully cleaned it and touched in the few small bits of damage to the finish in about 1996. Otherwise, apart from renewing the plywood back, which didn't cope with the damp and the woodworm, the whole thing is as it was originally made. Certainly shows glass tops can survive:001_smile:

dressingtable2.jpg.969f98d0b2ca1115360c74adb54899a6.jpg

dressingtable1.jpg.6a155c2100724d76361a37f1ee930309.jpg