Jack Kenyon retiring

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't honeys rename it not in his honour though ?

I'd always though it was his idea but I don't know, he was a young technician then.

It was to aid ascending rather than descending as it pushed the prussic knot up without having to move hands off the slack part you were pulling as far as I recall. I'm guessing we still used cable lay then, I didn't move to kernmantle until I decided rock climbing rope wasted so much effort, so went to abseil line and a petzl shunt.

Good teacher who also walked the walk.

Wow, cant believe he's only just retired quite a career he's had there, wasn't too sure about his teaching style myself but maybe he was less enthusiastic teaching at that level.

Anyone know what happened to John Whitehead or James Boyd ?

I spoke to James Boyd about a month ago, hes moved up to Hereford to look after his folks and doing the odd bit of nptc training.

I spoke to James Boyd about a month ago, hes moved up to Hereford to look after his folks and doing the odd bit of nptc training.

Glad to hear he's ok

I always felt James had an enthusiasm that was lacking from some of the other lecturers.

(Not jack of course)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd always though it was his idea but I don't know, he was a young technician then.

It was to aid ascending rather than descending as it pushed the prussic knot up without having to move hands off the slack part you were pulling as far as I recall. I'm guessing we still used cable lay then, I didn't move to kernmantle until I decided rock climbing rope wasted so much effort, so went to abseil line and a petzl shunt.

Good teacher who also walked the walk.

I wasn't suggesting it wasn't his idea more that honeys didn't give him credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just finished the 9 week course at Merrist Wood and I can't talk highly enough of Jack! His skills and knowledge are second to none and I feel privileged to have been taught and assessed by him! Even had a go on the original prototype of the climbing aid your all talking about, made from a bent-up junior hacksaw, worked a treat! Arb training at MW will be very different next year!

Never had the pleasure on my arb course at MW, but alot of people I know did & will be happy to have been Jacked up as some put it!!

Retirement is something I think that most of us in this world of trees just don't do to well.. Will watch this space for more to come out of the woodwork from Jack...

Never met the man, but heard loads about him. My boss trained at Merrist Wood (Matt Abslum) don't know if anyone knows him. Anyway I've learnt some stuff from him which "Jack the Stack" (as he affectionately calls him) taught him, really does sound like a good man and a great teacher

• 3 weeks later...

Yes jack is a legend. He tought me in the mid 90's and Boydy as well. Learnt so much from them. Well Happy retirement to him. I can't believe he has been going for so long!

There was another chap who did idents back then. Does anyone remember him?