Small forwarding trailer.

Woodworks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

Does the Zetor manage easily as even though our tractor is 55 hp it is quite light at 1320kg

The Zetor pulls the trailer fine, they seem to be ideally matched. The Zetor is about a ton heavier than yours, so i would not like to go down a muddy slope fully laden in yours. Rico make a 3 ton trailer with a similar crane, which might be a better match.

Thanks for the replies :thumbup:

The Farma seems popular and no complaints?

I am concerned about how much realistically our little tractor can pull safely. The handbook says 4000kg towing on our 1300kg tractor but the dealer I bought it off was apprehensive about that. This is what we have the 55 hp version http://www.lamborghini-tractors.com/UNITEDKINGDOM/en-GB/r1uk.html?identitytypecustomfields=DESCR_OVERVIEW&idproduct=13

Someone recommended to have hydraulic brakes fitted to the trailer but sadly the tractor does not have hydraulics for this unless we just make up a basic system that is operated manually.

Any other advise?

Edited by Woodworks

I can supply a UK built 3 ton capacity trailer, 4 ton gross with the crane. Should be fine behind your tractor. I wouldnt want to go any larger!

Hydraulic brakes can be run off a single acting spool valve. Its not perfect, but it works, and I wouldn't tow a trailer that size without them!

I have one ex-demo in stock with a 3.2m crane, hyd brakes, floatation tyres and folding chassis that I can do for just under £8k+vat.

Jim @ Riko

Thanks for the replies :thumbup:

The Farma seems popular and no complaints?

I am concerned about how much realistically our little tractor can pull safely. The handbook says 4000kg towing on our 1300kg tractor but the dealer I bought it off was apprehensive about that. This is what we have the 55 hp version r1

Someone recommended to have hydraulic brakes fitted to the trailer but sadly the tractor does not have hydraulics for this unless we just make up a basic system that is operated manually.

Any other advise?

A lot depends on the terrain as much as anything. Our Kubota probably weighs similar to your lamborghini and is less powerful and works really well with our trailer on the whole.

Ours is 4T gross, but I know that occasionally some loads of sawlogs in the past have been over 4T (just the timber) and it's never struggled to handle it in a safe manner. typically though we're nearer 2.5 to 3T depending on what product.

If it was a particularly boggy or rough site, or sloping (either side slopes or up/downhill) then I'd load it accordingly.

We don't have brakes on the trailer, but would be a lot happier with them if there was any slopes as it doesn't tke a lot to start shoving the little tractor about. Spool operated brakes are better than nothing I reckon. The other thing with foot operated brakes would be whether or not they would activate when you're usng the independent brakes - Because of the sort of sites we work, I find I'm on the independents quite a lot to wiggle round stuff and having the trailer brakes apply then would be a pain in the arse.

On a small rig, because you can wiggle between rows fairly well, I reckon a steering drawbar would be a good thing to look at - ours doesn't have one and is quite a long trailer (about 16ft to end of drawbar) so can take quite a swing to get out of the end of a tight row sometimes.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

OK so I shall have a close look at the Riko trailers as well.

The job I am hoping to get is on a steep hillside but the track is cut in across the hill and with no option to go straight up and down through the woodland as too steep. The wood will have to be winched to the track for access. The steepest bit I will have to do on this job is the road home that has mean 1:5 on it. On the subject of winches are crane mounted ones useful or better to save the money for a good tractor mounted forestry winch?

OK so I shall have a close look at the Riko trailers as well.

The job I am hoping to get is on a steep hillside but the track is cut in across the hill and with no option to go straight up and down through the woodland as too steep. The wood will have to be winched to the track for access. The steepest bit I will have to do on this job is the road home that has mean 1:5 on it. On the subject of winches are crane mounted ones useful or better to save the money for a good tractor mounted forestry winch?

Crane mounted are really for pulling odd bits into reach of the crane rather than skidding. A decent tractor mounted winch will pull a lot more wood a lot faster. Also, it's not going to be putting extra strain on the crane.

Crane mounted are really for pulling odd bits into reach of the crane rather than skidding. A decent tractor mounted winch will pull a lot more wood a lot faster. Also, it's not going to be putting extra strain on the crane.

It's what I thought but doesn't hurt to ask those in the know :001_smile: