A new hybrid

Tom D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would assume it would be buggered. But not going to just snap and give up. Just bent.

Just playing with mine, there is quite a lot of sideways play in the ZZ so it would probably tolerate a bit of a swing.

Untested though by the looks of things.

It would be nice to be available in separate parts to replace the parts as required. Especially if the pulley part is like the HC.

In response to t14ees-t14unk the way to take apart the hc: you need to centre punch and drill out the riveted ends of the spindle, it's tricky and dont go too deep as you can re use both ends of the spindle for top hat shaped spacers. A small metal work lathe is handy for drilling the 5mm central hole, but not essential.

A couple of m5 penny washers filed thinner to act as shims either side of the zz components will offer support for side ways movement. The main spindle is then replaced with a high tensile m5 collard bolt (only thread on the last portion of bolt).

I may put a suitable size bolt through the spare hole in the hc to keep the side plates from moving.

This is for educational purposes only.:wink:

This is for educational purposes only.:wink:

...as I guess mods like this would invalidate any DMM warranty or HC certificate. Even though you are looking like creating something that is potentially better than either system (HC and ZZ) in their original guise.

i really do like the idea, but i would like if some who is about to climb on contacted dmm and see if the pulley can withstand this force first. as with a hitch it is not loaded anything like this ay. i mean it looks good but a quick question is a good idea ay. really dont want another accident on this.

also i really doubt Petzl and DMM will join as, DMM is more to do with ropes.

...as I guess mods like this would invalidate any DMM warranty or HC certificate. Even though you are looking like creating something that is potentially better than either system (HC and ZZ) in their original guise.

Reading your prior posts (including those from other threads), you really do appear to have a vendetta against the zig-zag & now it's new variants, along with a major fixation with certification.

Without innovation there can be no development...................

Reading your prior posts (including those from other threads), you really do appear to have a vendetta against the zig-zag & now it's new variants, along with a major fixation with certification.

Without innovation there can be no development...................

Pete. Sorry if it comes across like that. I was fascinated by the whole zigzag episode. I am sorry it failed but also concerned that it got that far without the shortcomings becoming apparent. Particularly as it came from Petzl and was preceded with so much fanfare.

I was also shocked that many posters were happy to believe that the first zigzag failure was an elaborate scam to discredit Petzl. Many were happy to carry on using them even adding all sorts of 'back-up' systems to give them better peace of mind. Even after the withdrawl!

My 'fixation' with accreditation just reflects many of the comments I read on here. I get confused about certain principles. Here we have members creating interesting equipment with your (and others) encouragement. Yet other posts warn about buying e2e prusiks off ebay - because they have no certification. And when I posted inquiring if anyone had a second-hand harness they wanted to sell I was advised to buy new - 'it's the only way you will know that it is safe'.

Seems some times things are 'PC' and sometimes there not.

Just my thoughts. Maybe I should just read.:sneaky2:

Pete. Sorry if it comes across like that. I was fascinated by the whole zigzag episode. I am sorry it failed but also concerned that it got that far without the shortcomings becoming apparent. Particularly as it came from Petzl and was preceded with so much fanfare.

I was also shocked that many posters were happy to believe that the first zigzag failure was an elaborate scam to discredit Petzl. Many were happy to carry on using them even adding all sorts of 'back-up' systems to give them better peace of mind. Even after the withdrawl!

My 'fixation' with accreditation just reflects many of the comments I read on here. I get confused about certain principles. Here we have members creating interesting equipment with your (and others) encouragement. Yet other posts warn about buying e2e prusiks off ebay - because they have no certification. And when I posted inquiring if anyone had a second-hand harness they wanted to sell I was advised to buy new - 'it's the only way you will know that it is safe'.

Seems some times things are 'PC' and sometimes there not.

Just my thoughts. Mybe I should just read.:sneaky2:

That makes sense now. It is often hard to ask question after question without appearing to be chasing an agenda.

Your thoughts, queries etc on subjects (that are very grey to say the least) helps us all understand a little more & it would be a shame if those, like ourselves did not ask questions & challenge things :thumbup1:

Pete