A new hybrid

Tom D

Friction rope will self tend!! Not as well as the zz did maybe.

And I dont think this will pass loler, depends on the inpsector but I would guess anyone using this (or the original zz) is not going to worry about loler.

A none modified ZZ cannot pass loler now as its been re-called, so I would think the same applies here, even though the bit being used was not the part that caused the re-call.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly Rupe, if friction rope self tended as well as a zz, no one would of bought a zz. Not at £178.

As you say depending on the loler inspector and their interpretation of the rules it could pass as even friction cord only has to be 'fit for purpose intended'. If that config was tested then and it gripped reliably then there would be no cause to fail it.

And yes as you say how many modded zz are out there that will never see a loler inspection. I put a dyneema sling choked on to the top point for a while so there was never going to be an issue with cross loading.

OK the jury might be out on the loler question. It still works out at a very expensive bit of kit. Why not get your money back and wait for ZZ2? Or are you maybe suggesting Petzl team up with DMM?

It would be ironic if someone came up with a rig that was better than the zigzag before next Jan!

Friction hitch will self tend, just as well as the ZZ if its loose enough, BUT the looser it is the more sitback there is, and thats where the ZZ scores.

The thing is no-one got the chance to do long-term tests with the ZZ. It may get 'sloppy' after extended use.

I wonder where petzl are right now with their R+D of the ZZ2.

If they were just going to strengthen the old one then hopefully this will stop them in their tracks. As soon as the ZZ came out we were talking about how it would have been a better design to have the few holes like hitch climber.

Just looking at my two bits (ZZ & HC). How did you (Paul Knight) remove the pin from the HC. Does it just pop out with a bit of careful banging? And have you used the same bit banged back in again.

Just looking at the geometry of the HC and the ZZ added on looks like it might be better for SRT use as well. There doesn't seem to be the same ridges of alloy that were getting chewed when in SRT without a rope wrench.

I wonder where petzl are right now with their R+D of the ZZ2.

One question I would like answered - and I guess no-one had the time to find out the answer before it was withdrawn - is: how does this element of the ZZ cope with a side impact? Say you are hanging on it, line is locked, mechanical prusik is fully extended; and you swing into a 4"-6" limb which strikes the side of the device?

Does it bend? If so, does it bend back or stay bent? It looks (to me) the same principle as the chain on your saw - which is designed to bend in one axis - but not the other (cross) axis.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience on that?