Rough grass/lawn managment

Woodworks

We have an area of grass surrounding a decent sized veg patch.

At the moment I cut this back with a Stiga mulching mower which has done a fine job as the whole area was more like scrub before. Now the problem I have is the grass grows to darn fast and needs doing at least once a week or it gets away from me and ends up looking like a hay meadow. I wouldn't mind the grass being long but it is my fathers veg patch and he is not so steady on his pins these days so keeping the surrounding ground tidy and short makes a big difference for him. I presume mulching is helping the grass but we live in such a wet area I can't imagine many mowers with bags would cope but not sure. Are there any magic ways to keep the grass down or mowers that can collect when wet? The area is only about 1000m2 but pretty rough as the tractor is used to spread muck and rotavate the veg area. The poor old Stiga does not know if it is a mower, plough or flail :biggrin:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That scag does look proper "bad ass" but to be honest a bit over the top for how things are now :001_smile:

Do like the look of the etesia atilia. How neat a job can it do because there is also an area of more lawn like grass that gets cut at the same time and what sort of money?

Steven

I looked on Arbtrader but couldn't see it. I am probably being dim but could you post a link :001_smile:

Bump :thumbup:

Thanks for the help so far. Looking at the machines suggested it looks like I have overstated how bad the ground is. It is no longer a mass of rough brambles but a fairly uneven as using the tractor in wet weather inevitably makes a bit of mess. Found the price on the Etesia atilia sadly can never justify this kind of money for the amount of use the machine is going to get. So options as I see it are a small ride on that can cope with uneven ground and grass say up 8" long or a self drive mower that can pic up so hopefully over time the grass will be less nourished and grow less.

Hi,

Your issue may actually be the grass its self, as it was left to go scrubby, Meadow grass may have taken hold, this is wider, lusher and grows 10x faster than normal grass, If you have meadow grass no mater what mower you buy, or if you collect it will still grow at a rate of knots! If it is a big issue and you dont want to spend a fortune on new mowers id suggest using a growth regulator, this will slow the grass growth down.

Commercially it is used on steep banks so that people dont have to put operatives on them and endanger their lives more than is necessary.

Primo Maxx Growth Regulator | Growth Regulators | Pitchcare Shop

See above website for growth regultor, £90, job done

CBB