Radio Ear Defenders

arniecardigan

Anybody found any radio ear defenders that actually stay tuned whilst your moving around!!?? I want some for when I'm processing logs so not moving very far but past experience of them is not good unless standing still!! Dont want to spend loads and find I spend all my time trying to retune them!:001_smile:

The MSA/Sordin ones are fairly pricey at £70 or so, but worth it IMO. If possible, get the older style ones as they seem to be a better muff than the newer style ones (like the ones in the husky catalogue).

I'm currently running a set f the new type ones as helmet mount and they're doing OK, but they just don't sit as well as the old ones as the shape is different - but that might just be me having a funny shape head. If you were to go for the Husky ones (which are just MSA/Sordin ones in orange) the dealer should be able to do them for a whole lot less than they are in the catalogue, mine did anyway and he didn't take much persuading either.

For cheap, those one's that Aldi or Lidl had for £30 a while back aren't bad - not very robust but good sound reduction and the radio bit of it works really well. Only bad thing I can really note was the battery cover fell off and got loast within a few days, never t be seen again so mine are held in with duct tape at present.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

As Chris says the Aldi ones are very good, excellent reception at all times, bass boost, aux input for Ipod or 2 way radio.

Useful also is the built in microphone so you do not have to take them off when someone talks to you and yes the battery cover is a pain!

They do keep your ears warm as surround the ears completely.

59766467ebd31_FMEarDefenders.jpg.943cc386ed9c3e1c9c0648ace5714233.jpg

I have a set of both mentioned above and fully agree on the lidl ones (batt cover, good radio, handy mike thingy) but I've found the sound reduction a little slow sometimes.

I have a husky set on my helmet, and I find the radio reception generally quite poor, getting worse as the batteries get lower. I'd recommend recharging the batteries every three days or so rather than wait till they're empty.

I also use them with my iPod. I stuck a little cradle in the free space inside the helmet, set up a long playlist and hit play. Works well but: they switch between aux input and radio automatically, quite slowly. When they "hear" the silence between track or a song fades to very quiet, it switches back to radio. Then when the next song starts it switches back to aux but with a short delay. So the first word of the song is lost. Quite annoying.

The other thing is the plastic, which is in true husky style, piss-poor at first sight but seems to still not break. They are also a rather hideous sort of orange, matching nothing. (They really don't look at all right with my man-bag).

I got mine from "abbey pro" who were anything but pro, took a lot of money and even more hassle plus two weeks(!) to get them to me.

Bought two pairs of those. Radio is pathetic. Aux in works well enough and the bass boost is a nice touch.

Overall quality is shoddy. One pair in the bin after a month and a bit. Second pair needs wires re-soldering- only one side working which is a lot more annoying than you think. I would avoid if you plan to use them much at all.

If you're after a cheap pair with only aux in capabilities, I can highly recommend these:

Howard Leight Sync Stereo Earmuff (FREE UK P&P) | eBay

They look geeky but the SNR is exceptionally good, they are very comfy and sound quality is excellent. Also excellent for drowning out the woman and the telly so you can listen to some good tunes whilst writing invoices in the evenings! No batteries required.

As mentioned before, anything by Howard Leight/Sperian/Bilsom (all names of one brand/importer) is excellent.

HTH