old landrover cherrypicker

64treefrog

Hi guys, I'm new on here but have been in Trees for 30+ yrs.

advice please....

I have an old series landrover with an Acklift 9 meter cherrypicker mounted on the back. The hydraulics run from the gearbox and also power a huge hydraulic winch mounted on the front.

I havent used it in anger for about 10yrs!

Decided to restore it and get it back on the road this year (I know its old but I am emotionally attached to it) and fit a new engine.

My problems are...

a. is it a good idea?

b. Insurance, stupid quote from NFU

c. will the picker pass LOLAR test?

Any advise/ comments please

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problems are...

a. is it a good idea?

b. Insurance, stupid quote from NFU

c. will the picker pass LOLAR test?

Any advise/ comments please

A: very bad idea!

B: you'll never get it insured, give up now while you still have the will to live.

C: never.

So, I'll come and take it off your hands tomorrow, I won't charge much to take it away for you :sneaky:

SII, IIa or III?

You might want to try the Series 2 Owners' club forum. Very friendly and helpful site with a lot of knowledge. They're helpful with Series 3 too, since these don't have so much of a following and are essentially the same. There are also a lot of members with parts squirreled away who may be able to help you out if you get stuck.

Alec

Cost of the restoration will be low. Runs fine, needs welding, painting, brakes doing, all stuff i can do. The picker needs all new hydraulic pipes and some new control cables. Guess about £1500.

Biggest worry is testing and legality.

Used to have it registered as mobile crane, ran on red and MOT exempt.

Can anyone tell me what the LOLER test consists of and some idea of cost?

Cost of the restoration will be low. Runs fine, needs welding, painting, brakes doing, all stuff i can do. The picker needs all new hydraulic pipes and some new control cables. Guess about £1500.

My brother is going to

Email me stuff about the

Loler testing(his job) then will post up once receive it.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi there!

The insurance should not be a problem.... my Mog mewp runs on two policies, one road use and the second work. I do have a third policy on it for access work for other trades builders/roofers/electricians.

LSE Insurance set up the policy JCB/NIG are the underwriters.

It its reg as a tower crane then no mot is req & you can run on red. If you want to tow a trailer with it then its white derv and the trailer can only be inline with the work of the mewp ie; not a tipper for chip or flat with tracked chipper on it.

The loler is simple, they come in (Access, Chesterfield) go through the mewp side, mountings to vehicle, battery system. pass/fail/work to be done. For that its £300 every six months.

Steve

Hi there!

The insurance should not be a problem.... my Mog mewp runs on two policies, one road use and the second work. I do have a third policy on it for access work for other trades builders/roofers/electricians.

LSE Insurance set up the policy JCB/NIG are the underwriters.

It its reg as a tower crane then no mot is req & you can run on red. If you want to tow a trailer with it then its white derv and the trailer can only be inline with the work of the mewp ie; not a tipper for chip or flat with tracked chipper on it.

The loler is simple, they come in (Access, Chesterfield) go through the mewp side, mountings to vehicle, battery system. pass/fail/work to be done. For that its £300 every six months.

Steve

That's not what it says here

http://www.ipaf.org/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/en/RoadRegs.pdf