skidding logs with tractor?

Ryan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Im heading off tomorrow with my new attachments to start skidding out the 200 or so trees I have felled and stripped in the last couple of weekends. I made an attachment for the 3 point linkage to lift the butts clear of the ground for skidding and then a grab for the front loader of the tractor to aid with stacking the logs at the roadside for collection. Heres what I came up with

This is the skidding arm lowered for connecting logs.

Photo0273_zps45bb3a17.jpg

And lifted up the butts will clear the ground

Photo0274_zps6817804a.jpg

This is the grab. The rams a little short reducing the travel but im on the look out for a longer one or two.

Photo0261_zpsc2da70f4.jpg

And closed

Photo0263_zps58b0537e.jpg

Another view

Photo0272_zpsfa410135.jpg

Nice fabrication work - I think the grab is tremendous. Just be very careful with that skidding set up because all the pulling force looks to be coming through the top link? And through a pretty good lever too...

I'd definitely rig a choker chain from log to the lower arms or drawbar to take the pulling load, or there's a risk of a back flip especially if going up a steep bank. Be a risk of damaging the toplink housing on the tractor too if you shock load it with a heavy log.

Looks some nicely made stuff :thumbup1:

Just be very careful with that skidding set up because all the pulling force looks to be coming through the top link? And through a pretty good lever too...

I'd definitely rig a choker chain from log to the lower arms or drawbar to take the pulling load, or there's a risk of a back flip especially if going up a steep bank. Be a risk of damaging the toplink housing on the tractor too if you shock load it with a heavy log.

I'd half agree and half disagree with you.

I'd not be too worried about the top link as there's some huge loading going to the top link when using a winch, less so when doing the actual skidding.

I'd agree though that there's going to be a lot of leverage taking weight off the front of the tractor.

Agree with TCD too though about the wires, not sure they'll last very long, especially if you're going to hook thse clips back round the wire.

Choker chains and a row of slots on the bar to hook them into would be my suggestion.

Cheers guys. I agree chains would probably be much better, but I got the rope for free and half a dozen hooks and some rope grips were only a few quid so I thought I give it a go. The rope is 8mm so should be capable in theory of lifting a fair weight and none of my trees are too big.

I thought the pressure on the top link might be too much but after some inspection noticed the pressure is taken of the top link by a heavy cast block on the back end and provided it is not shock loaded should be ok.

Anyway I tried it out today for a few hours. Skidded about 90 trees into the field, then cut a 16ft length from the butt of each. I then transported these using the grab and loader to the roadside for collection. Most are 18 to 25ft long of usable firewood so I'll take the short top sections home in a trailer behind the landrover. The 16ft lenghts I will get collected by artic lorry. Heres a couple of photos of the skidding. (I'll get some of the grab working next day)

Chokers set

Photo0282_zps7931ac75.jpg

Butts lifted

Photo0280_zps97541022.jpg

And the view from the cab. Small load this time. Chokers wouldn't reach any more

Photo0281_zpsb3a9309e.jpg

Edited by Ryan

If you look at the first photo you will see a couple of the clips on the hooks have been broken allready, though they work fine without the clips. Find the ropes handy to work with and would like to carry on using them if I got better fittings and got the ends crimped as opposed to grips.